Questions about UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoke Em If You Got Em

Original poster
Mar 6, 2018
Firstly, Id like to introduce myself before I start asking questions.

My name is Mike and I am an Active Duty Soldier, currently stationed at Ft. Carson Colorado. I have about 10 years in, and still going strong. Being in the military, I am not afforded the opportunity to have many hobbies as work takes up the majority of my time, to include a good portion of my personal time. I got in to smoking meat a few years ago; started with a little Brinkman drum smoker, moved to an electric Masterbuilt, and finally an Oklahoma Joe Highland offset smoker. All three have their pros and cons, but I still enjoy the process and ultimately the end result. I have found, as I'm sure many of you would agree, that its hard to beat a stick burner, which I am most partial to. I have been wanting to start a project for some time and am really liking what a lot of you guys are doing with these UDS smokers. I like how you can personalize them and make them your own.

I haven't yet started my build, but am still in the process of doing some research, so any and all advise or suggestions are most welcome. I found a company in Denver that sells reconditioned drums and will be picking mine up on Saturday for about 40 bucks. Its a food grade, 55 gallon drum with a removable lid. The man at the company suggested I use a drum that he has, that is a bit thicker metal, and has a sort of a gel coating on the inside as opposed to an enamel paint. Its only a few bucks more (including delivery to my local area) but just like a decent offset smoker, as opposed to a cheaper one, I am thinking that getting a drum that is a bit thicker metal will only help with retaining heat. He suggested the one with the gel coating because it will be easier to burn off once I do my first burn.

Enough about the drum itself, my question is more about the air intakes. I notice most UDS smokers have two air intakes on either side of the drum, and some have a small nozzle on the back side. Is the nozzle something that you add yourself, or is it a drainage plug that comes on some drums? If its something you add yourself, what is the purpose? I've seen a few videos on youtube where guys will have a cap over the nozzle and will often remove it or screw the cap on for air flow. Why not just add a third air flow pipe as opposed to the small nozzle? (that is if you add the nozzle yourself). Additionally, what would be the downside of adding a third intake?

Lastly, I have seen a number of people add a lower rack above the charcoal basket where they use a pizza pan as a heat deflector. I am somewhat knowledgeable as to the purpose of a heat deflector, but not entirely sure of exactly its use. Would it be more for briskets or shoulders? Would you recommend adding one and using it as necessary?

I apologize for the lengthy post; I am very happy to have found this forum as many of you have lots of knowledge to pass along to a beginner builder. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and any advise you may have.

- Mike

The valve on the side is used as an adjustable air inlet. Use it to maintain temp. I have 4 holes in mine. One has the valve and the others just get covered with magnets. I'm thinking about installing a second valve in one of the other holes. In winter it usually takes one valve full open and another hole partially covered. With the magnet I can adjust the size of the hole pretty easily.
Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky