Questions about tenderness?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
St Petersburg FL
I did my second pork butt on the Chargriller duo pro w/ sfb.  The last one I did I thawed and smoked as usual.  It tured out perfect.

today I used one that I bought from the same local butcher on Friday.

I smoked it close to 225 on royal oak lump until it reached 190 and then I pulled it to rest for an hour.  There was one time in the early hours of the morning where I lost track of the fire and temps dropped to 150 for about 30 min.  After that I never lost temps below 220 and I had the occasional spike to 250.

After it rested I went to pull it and serve.  I couldn't pull it, I had to cut it into chunks and serve...
mad.gif

Can anyone tell me what would have caused such a tough finish product?  There were some areas that were perfect, but the majority was tough and tasty.

I will add some finished Qview when my sis-in-law emails me the photos.

I have another one to smoke next weekend and I would love to have this issue solved.

Thanks again!

I would definitely agree with meateater.  Those last few degrees make a HUGE difference.  The first one i ever did, I took to about 195.  It pulled with forks and some work, but was not easy.  Just finished two more the other day and took them to 205.  After resting, I pulled the bone and could not even lift the whole thing into my pan without it falling apart.  about two minutes of hand work and it was all over but the eating!

Connective tissues break down between 190° and 205°, that's why it was tough.  Plus, not all butts are the same; some are just tougher a/c age, breed, penning, fattening, etc.

Smoke it until it hits 165f, then wrap it in foil until it reaches your desired finish temp.  Some like it 190 others until 210.  It will soften the bark, but most people mix in a dressing or BBQ sauce on top the pulled pork which ruins the bark anyways...

cool.gif

I'm with Pops on this one to. You need to take the butt to atleast 200°-205° I sometimes even take it to 205° and then let it rest for atleast and hour. I also let it go maybe 2 hours or so and then pull it. The connective tissues need time and temp to breakdown and that will make the meat more tender too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky