questions about TBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerlover

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
N.W. PA
It seem I go through a lot of wood. I have a GOSM (propane of course) and I use the smoke box that came w/it. It seems like I have to put chunks in about every 1-1 1/2 hours. They turn black like coal and seem to quit smoking. Should I get a different box, or is this normal? Even when I use chips they seem to do the same thing. Are the chips supposed to turn to ash before changing them? I use hickory,cherry,apple and mesquite with the same results from all.

Lover,

I don't think there is a thing wrong with your machine or the way you are doing it. I get the same results and with a flame that big right underneath - heck, that's only a tiny bit of wood to begin with.

here's what I do - I prop a chunk of wood (get it the same place you get the chips) on the rack between the smoke box and the wire and let it smoke.

remember, you are only smoking it for a portion of the cooking - you don't need tons of smoke the entire cooking process.

Try propping - you'll like that. The GOSM is great - you CAN NOT beat it for the money - honey.

Best, Brad Simmons

Typical experience when using the original box. Seems as if it doesn't get enough air circulation. I have switched over to a coffee can riddled with 3/8 in. holes. It does breath a whole lot better and the wood turns to ash. I don't smoke throughout, just till internal temp hits 110-120 or so, depending on the cut. BTW, I use a GOSM big block.

Dito Richoso1 except instead of a coffee can I use a 8X8 alum cake pan, nothing but ashes left when done. I tried the fire box that came with the unit once and couldnt get much smoke at all. This is just my 2 cents.. hope it helps..

My experiences are the same. But as Rich and others state, "if you smell smoke, you are smoking". The black chunks of wood in the smoker box always end up ash eventually. I just keep using them until they turn to ash but usually add a fresh chunk in with it to generate some TBS.

Smokelover I wouldn't worry about it, I have both the big and small GOSM and my chunks come out just likes your's all the time. I wondered about that fact also,but if you split them there's really nothing left to them. One good size chunk usualy last an hour or so. BUt as stated you really don't have to see the smoke, but it's there. I've tried the coffee can, and the bread pan, and the cast iron smoke box. The only differance I found was the cast iron one took longer to start smoking.

Just to add to all the good info above. I use the origonal box and leave the lid off and I also add two Charcoal bricketts unlit. They will eventually burn and help with the burn off of the wood chunks.

Not a bad idea Dale I think I'll try that the next time I smoke something. Thank you for that little trick. Man I tell you, a day doesn't go by here at the SMF that you don't learn something new. Thanks again to all my smoking friends
36_2_25.gif

This site is the best!! Thank you everyone for the help. The charcoal idea is good too. I might try that next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky