Questionable Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was given a couple of racks of short ribs. There was a problem. These were the fattiest short ribs I have ever seen. Not to be daunted I set to work doing the best I could.

I figured I would have to do lots of cooking to rend as much fat as possible.

I started by injecting with Cajun Injector Garlic Creole.

I gave them a rub with Memphis Rub and let them sit for a couple of hours in the fridge.

I cut some carrots, onions, and celery and put them in a roasting pan with a couple of cloves of garlic. I put 500 ml (2 cups) of beef stock over them.

I put a rack over the vegetables and put the ribs on top. I fired it into the pellet smoker at 250 F. Don't worry about the bratwurst beside it. I needed to have lunch.

45 minutes later, I had lunch.

After the ribs had been smoking for 3 hours, I brought them inside and turned the pellet grill off. It is getting cold here in the mountains and the rest of the cooking will be under foil so I did it in the oven. There is no point in heating up the great outdoors.

I added a cup of water to the roasting pan and put the ribs in the pan.

I covered the ribs with foil and put them in a 250 F oven for 3 hours. I used my Blue Therm Duo. I wanted to make sure the internal temperature was 205 F to really render the fat. There was no need. The 3 hours was plenty.

I took the ribs out of the pan and put them on a plate. I tented the foil over them.

I put the liquid and vegetables in a sauce pan and simmered the vegetables for 5 minutes.

I strained the liquid off the vegetables and defatted the liquid.

I added water to bring the liquid up to 2 cups.

I melted 50 ml (1/4 cup) butter in the roasting pan.

I added 50 ml (1/4 cup) flour and stirred to mix.

I slowly added the liquid from the ribs and stirred until thickened and cooked out.

I served the ribs with mashed potatoes, coleslaw and the gravy.

The Money Shot!

The Verdict.

These tasted great but boy was there a lot of fat. The long cooking rendered most of it. What was left was so well cooked it peeled easily away from the meat. I am please I was able to get a decent meal out of them!

Disco

Boy those look good! Short ribs are hard to beat when they are done right. I guess I'm still a student of that cut of meat as they tend to get a little tough when I make them and is still a lot of fat. Usually that's a braise similar to what you did. Yours look really tender! Points!

Boy those look good! Short ribs are hard to beat when they are done right. I guess I'm still a student of that cut of meat as they tend to get a little tough when I make them and is still a lot of fat. Usually that's a braise similar to what you did. Yours look really tender! Points!
Thanks! You can make them really fall apart if you extend the time under foil to 3 1/2 or even 4 hours but I like some chew. 

I appreciate the point!

D, Nice job on the ribs !
points.gif

Great Job Disco!!
icon14.gif

You took care of those Fat Boys Real good!!!
icon14.gif

Way to go!
icon14.gif

Looks Real nice from the Den!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Bear

Those look like they turned out terrific Disco...very nicely done Sir!  It's sometimes difficult to render enough out of such fattie cuts, but looks like you nailed it!  And that gravy looks very tasty too...Point!

Red

Great Job Disco!!
icon14.gif

You took care of those Fat Boys Real good!!!
icon14.gif

Way to go!
icon14.gif

Looks Real nice from the Den!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Bear
Thanks, Bear. I am just too cheap to not use even the fattiest of ribs.

Those look like they turned out terrific Disco...very nicely done Sir!  It's sometimes difficult to render enough out of such fattie cuts, but looks like you nailed it!  And that gravy looks very tasty too...Point!

Red
Gravy is one of life's little pleasures! Thanks for the point, Red.

Delicious looking meal Disco.    I bet with all of the fat the meat was super tender and flavorable.

That's a great looking meal you put together there Disco!

Nice job on the short ribs!

Point!

Al

Looks great!! I never seem to find short ribs that have much meat on them, unless they're $9.99/lb.
Not to take away from the star of the show, but that bratwurst got my tummy rumbling. Looks like one of your homemade split top rolls too!!

Thanks! It was tasty but I've never had short ribs that were short of fat!
You have to get your own Live Pig a year in advance.

Then put him on a Special Diet, and a serious Daily exercise schedule.

No heavy weights or Steroids, because you don't want any Muscle or Gristle on Ole Porky.

WARNING:   Don't become too attached either!!!

Bear

You have to get your own Live Pig a year in advance.

Then put him on a Special Diet, and a serious Daily exercise schedule.

No heavy weights or Steroids, because you don't want any Muscle or Gristle on Ole Porky.

WARNING:   Don't become too attached either!!!

Bear
Har! At one point, She Who Must Be Obeyed was talking about getting a pet. I suggested a pig. They are smart and friendly. When you go on vacation, you don't have to hire a kennel, just get it cut up and put it in the freezer. The bruise is almost gone.
Love short ribs and yours look awesome Disco! Gravy is a life pleasure for sure!
Thanks, Jay! Here's to gravy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky