• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

question on thermometers??

jdomep

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 30, 2011
i see a lot of pictures with thermometers in them. some pictures have three thermometer in three different cuts of meat. it almost lookes like they keep the themometer in the smoker during the cooking process. is that correct? i would think the temp would be off a fuzz if they are in the smoker for the duration of the cooking time.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Are you talking about analog thermometers in the smoker? I see a lot of pictures of people putting their analog thermometers into the meat and leaving them in the smoker the whole time. I have several digital ones so I never use the analog ones so I'm  not sure if there is any worry about getting a crazy reading because of the whole unit being in the smoker or not.

Last edited:

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
Maybe differant thremos for differant grate levels.That would let ya know the differant temps on the grate levels.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 16, 2009
i see a lot of pictures with thermometers in them. some pictures have three thermometer in three different cuts of meat. it almost lookes like they keep the themometer in the smoker during the cooking process. is that correct? i would think the temp would be off a fuzz if they are in the smoker for the duration of the cooking time.
Most everyone keeps one thermo in the chamber to monitor the cooking temp. Putting one in each piece of meat is not necessary but will be usefull if they are different types (chicken, beef, etc.), different size or different cuts. Some larger cuts like butts and briskets may not get done at the same time so it is important to know the internal temp of each one. On the other hand, items like ribs, thighs, legs, country ribs, etc will usually be done at the same time so there is no need to check them all. Ribs aren't monitored for temp anyway but I hope you get my point. I have a handfull of thermos around here so i will stick one wherever i deem it necessary to monitor a temp.

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
that is a bi-metal thermometer for measuring chamber temps not meat temps

hmcm

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 14, 2010

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You've got to know the chamber temp & the internal meat temp. The thermometers need to be accurate. That being said there are many thermometers that will do the job. For the most part the factory one's are not very accurate. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.