Question on Slicing Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martyj

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 25, 2016
Detroit Michigan
In the past, I've always separated the point from the flat prior to cooking. I'd like to try cooking it whole this time and I'd still like to make burnt ends out of the point.Once the brisket has reached temp, do I just slice straight down and cut off the point or will there still be a distinguishable fat line that I can see and follow to separate the two?

Thanks in advance for any input

You'll not only be able to separate the 2, you should be able to do so VERY easily.

Lay it down on the cutting board with the flat on the bottom, make a slice into the fat line between the flat and the point, and then lift the edge with a large fork.  At that point you should be able to remove the point from the flat with a butter knife.

You'll be glad you did it whole as well.  IMO, the point comes out much better for chopped BBQ and is very moist.

Thank you sir. i appreciate it greatly. The only thing that's ever held me back from cooking it whole was the fear of not being able to separate them easily.

Just did this Saturday, you can slide a spatula between the point and flat as there is fat between the two.

Whole brisket

Point

Scraping fat off of the point.

Flat cleaned up

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky