Question on my first attempt at belly bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Gator and for the like appreciate it, not sure about hooked just yet, as the waiting for bacon is worse then for cheese.

So your saying no air drying in the fridge before smoking? It was in the cure for 12 full days(close to 13). Thanks Richie for the like and advice.

Chris
You could have let it cure longer or even rest wrapped in the fridge,take it out to dry the day before smoking.
Richie

You could have left it in the cure for 14 days then dried it in the fridge for 4 days, then cold smoked it. And dried it in the fridge for another 4 days. Maybe that would have gotten you to a better weather situation.
Al

Everything looks good. When I visited Ireland I had cured but not smoked bacon. You are right, it is quite hammy but still very tasty. The smoking does more than change the taste though, it also changes the texture a bit.

I understand not smoking at 29 but I find that one of the downsides of going to 14 days. If it is inclement, you don't have a lot of room to wait for smoking. It likely wouldn't hurt for a day or two but I still prefer my 4 days per inch of pork and 2 days for curing time. It gives lots of time for equilibriom of the cure and gives you some room if you can't smoke on the exact day.

As for adding spices or flavours, definitely go for it. Coat with pepper or chipotle, delicious. Inject with some maple syrup, honey or molasses thinned with water for a different sweet. Once you have the basics, the best part is making it the way you like it. More or less salt. More or less sweet. Different spices on the surface. It is all great!

Reactions: gmc2003
There is ZERO reason to think your procedure would make you sick! Salt and Sugar, both, bind water so it is unavailable for excessive Bacteria Growth. Cure #1 inhibits the growth of Clostridium Botulinum, Listeria and Salmonella. AND THAT'S AT ROOM TEMP, for 7 days. You had your Belly refrigerated the whole time and you will cook it before eating. You did everything Right. There was no need to worry...JJ

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky