Question on collagen casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Eastern PA
I want to make some beef sticks this weekend. Picked up some 21mm mahogany collagen casings to stuff with. My question is, do I need to soak these before stuffing? I have never used collagen before so I'm in the dark on this. Thanks in advance.

Typically there is no need to soak them. Last weekend I made 50 lbs of hot sticks and did not soak any casings. But I've read instructions on larger, Bologna size casings that said to soak for a brief time. IMO, the only good thing about collagen is that you can stuff them dry.

Last edited:
no do not soak them stuff them just the way they are.  slip the whole thing onto your stuffing tube if it will fit if not, pull off the length you want and slip it onto your tube. you will need to tie the ends as they dont stay twisted too well

Last edited:
Thanks. I wasn't sure on those. I also have some 52mm Bologna size casings I 'm going to use for summer sausage. Those say to soak in salted water for 30 minutes before use.

Good question and I have another if you don't mind.  I made some awhile back in the oven at 100* and upped the temp until they got to 165* and pulled them out.  They were not as dry as I wanted them, so I put them in the dehydrator.  They looked great so I put them in ziplock and into the fridge.  The next day the casings where glue-like and mushy.  Should I not put in bag or fridge?  Thanks

I keep my collagen in a vac bag in the fridge. Put some collagen in a zip lock open for a couple hours before stuffing.

Another quick question. The recipe I have calls for dextrose. Can I substitute raw sugar for that?

You can buy powdered dextrose at a local home brewing store or Karo syrup can be used (clear) use 1.60 fluid oz per 5 lbs of meat.

DEXTROSE - 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counter salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor. The most common sugar used in meat is dextrose. Dextrose is corn sugar and it will not burn as easily as cane or beet sugar. When a recipe calls for cane sugar you can replace it with dextrose by adding 20% more dextrose than cane sugar due to the sweetness factor between cane sugar and dextrose.

DEXTROSE - 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counter salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor. The most common sugar used in meat is dextrose. Dextrose is corn sugar and it will not burn as easily as cane or beet sugar. When a recipe calls for cane sugar you can replace it with dextrose by adding 20% more dextrose than cane sugar due to the sweetness factor between cane sugar and dextrose.
Thanks for the info.

need more info on your process. details..............

boykjo                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 no I do not but I will give this a try and thank's a lot for your help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky