Question is driving me nuts and I can't get a strait answer...Freezing cured but not smoked meat??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gustopho

Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Okay, I have what some might think is a dumb question but I dont wanna loose this years harvest. I was able to fill both my tags despite the blue-tongue disease that has wiped out a huge percentage of the deer population here in SD.

I am making summer sausage, snack sticks and whole muscle jerky.

I bought High Mountain seasoning kits from Runnings this year to try. They come with season and cure. I am going with a 1 to 2 ration...pork butt/deer. I shot my dear last Monday. I would like to know if I grind, season/cure then stuff the casing can I put it in the freezer after the 24hr cure time and smoke it this weekend? It will be 6 days to the actuall smoking of the meat.

Will this harm the meat or texture? Should I just let it refridgerate rather than freeze? I only have a few hours each day this week to process the meat, but can spend all weekend smoking it.

I fear if I leave it hang another week the meat will definetly go bad.

Thank to all those whom are able to advise

never done it but i don't see why you couldn't do either. if the meat is cured then it should be fine in the frig.......also i don't see any reason why the freezer would harm it as either. the only thing i can think of is in the frig.....the salt could bring out moisture from the meat over a period of time. maybe some on will chime in who has one of the other......or both.

If you used a cure in the meat you should be OK. Keep it in the fridge and massage daily or freeze  till you are ready to smoke. Make sure   your cure time has been reached. I'm thinking 24 hours is not enough. This is just a start, maytbe one of our 'sausage makers' will be along to firm up my answer.

Mike

Thanks everyone.

Diggingdog, So just ziplock it and place it in a cool with ice? Do you think this would be better than freezing. My other concern with freezing would be that it may split the casing. Is this a possibilty or should it keep just fine.

Thanks again everyone for all your help

Gustopho, evening and welcome to the forum.....   Cure will dissipate over time.... Don't know how fast or slow.... So get to it as soon as practical.....   I like Martin's idea of bags and ice....  and in the refer maybe....   Should be good for 7 days anyway.... at least as long as curing bacon.....  Please stop into "roll call" and introduce yourself for a proper welcome from our great members..... enjoy the forum....

Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky