Question for Pro Q and WSM owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ozynorts

Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Hey all, I am looking at these two smokers and I have a question.
Both advertise a silicon grommet to allow you to use your temp probes. I have the Inkbird IBT 2X probes and I would like to know how easy it is to use these with either smoker. The probes are about 5 inches long and have a 90' bend in them where it attaches to the cable.
The WSM grommet appears to have both a hole to insert just the straight part of the probe and a slit that will allow you to put the entire probe in.
The ProQ appears to only have a hole that I assume is only big enough to put the straight part of the probe through. Is this assumption wrong? Can the entire probe be threaded through the grommet to allow monitoring of the internal temp during a cook?
It would be great to get some feedback on this as it is a 90 minute drive to my nearest store to buy either and I would like to have as much info at hand before I make a decision.
Thanks in advance and go the 49ers....

A completely biased opinion - WSM all the way! used one for years and learned a s**t ton about smoking. bomb proof, tried and tested, lots of mods easily avail.

I have only used WSM with probes...its easy to use and SandyUt is right the WSM is the way to go on a good smoker at the price point.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I have a 22" WSM and yes you can slide multiple probes thru the grommet. I also recommend WSM. It's porcelain coated and very easy to use. Almost set-it-and-forget-it out of the box. They seem to last a life time.

Chris

I have a wsm and as you can see plenty of room for probes. I have a digiq probe and ink bird probes going through the grommet with just about every cook.

20191227_102232.jpg

Attachments

• 20191225_151651.jpg
    20191225_151651.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Ozynorts
I have a napolean apollo which is sold under the name pro q in other countries. I can get at least 2 inkbird probes through the gromit on both cooking grates. If I remember correctly I have used 3 but it was a tight squeeze to get the 3rd one through.

Reactions: Ozynorts
I have a napolean apollo which is sold under the name pro q in other countries. I can get at least 2 inkbird probes through the gromit on both cooking grates. If I remember correctly I have used 3 but it was a tight squeeze to get the 3rd one through.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Appreciate the comments, I will hopefully get a chance to have a look at both side by side next week. It's a tough one as there is a $200 difference in price between the two in the same size. The WSM is the more expensive. The 18in WSM here in Australia is $700 and the ProQ is $500 and the 22in ProQ is $700 so that is a consideration.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky