Question about making brats.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks! Do you SV them after they are stuffed? or just go straight to the grill?

I link them and then I try to let them stabilize for a day or two before I hit the grill. You can run them right to the grill after stuffing though if you have hungry diners waiting.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: clifish
Here is my general recipe for Nuremberg style bratwurst. German style brats use thinner casings than most American bratwurst but casing size isn't that crucial. Use the size you like best. I prefer the thinner sheep casings.

These are my favorite bratwurst.

1.5 kg pork shoulder
500 g pork belly
39.0 g Salt
6.0 g Black Pepper
2.0 g White Pepper
2.5 g Marjoram
1.5 g Cayenne
1.0 g Nutmeg

Sheep or hog casings

Enjoy.

Thanks for that! I played a little with Nurns a little while and my formula (not finished) is similar so I can attest that yours is on point and probably better than mine. Totally trying yours. That cayenne addition sounds tasty. Agree these need to rest/stabilize.

clifish clifish The Nurn is the OG brat. There are a few german brats that are an absolute treat to make and enjoy and these are probably the king. I like your ideas to SV and is a great idea especially if gifting them. Most people have no idea how to grill brats. Center raw, casing split, fat out...

https://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/en/nuremberg-bratwurst-tradition-for-more-than-700-years-1.4814807

Thanks for that! I played a little with Nurns a little while and my formula (not finished) is similar so I can attest that yours is on point and probably better than mine. Totally trying yours. That cayenne addition sounds tasty. Agree these need to rest/stabilize.

clifish clifish The Nurn is the OG brat. There are a few german brats that are an absolute treat to make and enjoy and these are probably the king. I like your ideas to SV and is a great idea especially if gifting them. Most people have no idea how to grill brats. Center raw, casing split, fat out...

https://www.christkindlesmarkt.de/en/nuremberg-bratwurst-tradition-for-more-than-700-years-1.4814807
Thanks will give it a go...yeah count me in as a split casing fat out griller...lol

Okay so my mind blown moment with this recipe is when I added mace to the mix and got a near perfect McD's breakfast sausage.

Okay so my mind blown moment with this recipe is when I added mace to the mix and got a near perfect McD's breakfast sausage.

My recipe for "Bangers" calls for mace. I can't find the stuff locally, so I sub with Accent. Does Mace make a big difference? The stuff is expensive on Amazon.

Reactions: JC in GB
Here is my general recipe for Nuremberg style bratwurst. German style brats use thinner casings than most American bratwurst but casing size isn't that crucial. Use the size you like best. I prefer the thinner sheep casings.

These are my favorite bratwurst.

1.5 kg pork shoulder
500 g pork belly
39.0 g Salt
6.0 g Black Pepper
2.0 g White Pepper
2.5 g Marjoram
1.5 g Cayenne
1.0 g Nutmeg

Sheep or hog casings

Enjoy.

Thank you for that recipe JC in GB JC in GB

Question 1, how course do you grind this?
Question 2, have you used mace in this recipe?

Reactions: JC in GB
I grind once with fine plate. I only used mace while doing taste testing. It didn't make the final recipe but it tasted good.
Thank you JC.

I made up 4# of your recipe. I added mace, and ginger, and beer. They smell fantastic. Hog casings.

5388408E-AD4E-4416-8E60-7C279E27FBAA.jpeg

For those struggling, see those strings? That’s protein extracted, stop mixing here.

55F3D792-C045-455C-A0E5-373883BFF8DA.jpeg

All stuffed and tied.

You can try nutmeg instead of mace. It is the same plant.
The recipe for Bangers that I use (Len Poli) calls for Nutmeg, and Mace. Hmmm. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order some Mace just to see. Here is the recipe.

Bangers:
5 lb. Pork shoulder
1 1⁄2 cups Pork broth
1 cup Rusk (or breadcrumbs)
5 tsp. Salt
4 tsp. White pepper
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Mace
1⁄2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Rubbed Sage

question as I have not ground or stuffed anything yet. Do you twist the individual sausage as you stuff? or after you stuff the entire load?

question as I have not ground or stuffed anything yet. Do you twist the individual sausage as you stuff? or after you stuff the entire load?
I make a rope and link afterwards. You do have to leave enough room to allow for linking, in other words you can't stuff your casings so full that they burst when linking. They can also be linked as you stuff, but it's easier to run a rope and link after.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky