Question about grilling beef and pork sausage links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
I have grilled beef and pork sausage links for many years. Hard to beat a good sausage dog loaded up with your favorite fixins. My question is, why does the pork sausage casing always seem to bust and the beef does not. Aggravating as hell. Any answers and recommendations?

Pork casings are not as tough as beef casings. Beef casings have tougher collagen and are more elastic, thus resist splitting....at least this is what I was told by my butcher....

Too high a temp is the number one cause of Case Bursting! Indirect heat is the best choice with a Quick sear if needed.
Think about your Recipes also. Do you add more water to Pork Sausage than Beef?
Fat Content and Emulsification. High Fat well mixed and Emulsified with the Water, will hold more moisture than Leaner Sausage. Emulsified Fat and Water plumps and expands verses loose or unbound water that Evaporates.
Do you add Binders to both Pork and Beef Sausage? Binders hold moisture when added, plumping, verses leaving them out.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head...JJ😊

Too high a temp is the number one cause of Case Bursting! Indirect heat is the best choice with a Quick sear if needed.
Think about your Recipes also. Do you add more water to Pork Sausage than Beef?
Fat Content and Emulsification. High Fat well mixed and Emulsified with the Water, will hold more moisture than Leaner Sausage. Emulsified Fat and Water plumps and expands verses loose or unbound water that Evaporates.
Do you add Binders to both Pork and Beef Sausage? Binders hold moisture when added, plumping, verses leaving them out.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head...JJ😊
Thank you sir!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky