q view of my first traeger smoke (brisket)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philip_g

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I rubbed the brisket and left it for 8 hours, then started the smoker at about 9pm and let it run overnight on smoke, runs about 180F on mine

after smoking all night

then I set it to 225 and let it go to about 170, foiled it and smoked to 200, a little higher than I normally go because I like to slice it but thought I'd pull this one and take to work

after resting in a cooler 5 hours

Not too bad for the first time with a new smoker I thought, came out pretty decent, not dry at all, good smoke flavor

Last edited:
Well for a first brisket you did yourself proud. Nice looking smoke ring and congrats on keeping it moist. I do take my brisket to 205 to pull

Good job man
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Well for a first brisket you did yourself proud. Nice looking smoke ring and congrats on keeping it moist. I do take my brisket to 205 to pull

Good job man
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Sorry should have been clearer, not my first brisket, just the first one on a new smoker. Previously ran an electric MES and as much as I hate to admit it never got results as good as this, a little tweaking and it'll be right on the money.

Nice lookin smoke!

Maybe turn that knife 90 degrees and slice from the other corner so you cut across that grain.. Makes aworld of difference in texture..

Nice lookin smoke!

Maybe turn that knife 90 degrees and slice from the other corner so you cut across that grain.. Makes aworld of difference in texture..
yeah, usually I do, but I guessed wrong and after I ate dinner I pulled it all to take to work on friday. Better have some happy coworkers!

Reminds me, I'm going to reheat it in a crockpot, anyone use a finishing sauce like on pork? Or should I heat up a little broth and mix in some rub to moisten it all up so it reheats OK?

Last edited:
Do you have any reserved juices? that would be my first choice, then to the beef broth or a mix of broth and a hint of bbq sauce..

Do you have any reserved juices? that would be my first choice, then to the beef broth or a mix of broth and a hint of bbq sauce..
I had some, not a ton though. I poured those in, I'll try a little broth.

maybe I'll cheat and just mix in some BBQ sauce and heat it up so it's ready for sandwiches, I sure hate to do that

cool.gif

Believe me if you bring in food like that to work you will be elected the new boss. You fellow workers will love it. I do it from time to time and they love it.

cool.gif

Believe me if you bring in food like that to work you will be elected the new boss. You fellow workers will love it. I do it from time to time and they love it.
I try to bring stuff in, I owe them food for getting checked out on a position last week- it's "tradition" and in my opinion that beats the hell out of pizza!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky