Q-Bana...............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Campsmoke , I was think a 'fart fan' would work ...
thumb1.gif
 .The stack will be about 6" from the roof ; enough to keep to heat from scortching anything .

But I.m wondering if that would help the drafting , or is more exhaust pipe needed
icon_question.gif
 lenghthing my pipe above the roof
icon_exclaim.gif
 My objective is to reduce smoke in the 'Bana' and still have good draft
icon14.gif

Thanks . . .
You know me, I would be a shade tree mechanic......... I would think about dropping Dave a /PM beccause as you increase your stack length you will change your CC draft. basically as best I understand from Dave, the longer the stack it equates to basically increasing the flow just like increasing the stack diameter. I don't know if that would be good or bad in your case. Guessing bad bacuse as well seasoned as your pit appears, you'd probably not enjoy becoming re-aquainted with its cooking charactistics again. Also any PI, or turn, 90's or 45's also would have to be figured in.

But you'll have to have an idea what you'll do before he could do much more than educate, he'll need what you would like to use to figure out your flow.

For instance, say 3 ft. extension may equate to increasing the stack diameter by one nominal size, but if you count the friction loss from 2 offseting 90's it may well equate to back to no change. But Dave is the genius at numbers. I know, I know, we didn't used to have to think about stuff like that, you just would re-learn the dynamics of the pit and complain about how it used to be. LOL..... been there done that.

But Dave could much better explain than me.

I do use those steel scrouring pads on top of each vent pipe on the house to ensure the dirt daubbers and wasps don't get in and start making them selves home. Friend uses panty hose, on the vents silly, but the heat might deter that idea.

I'll keep thinkin on it. Remember to drop Dave a /PM he's forgot more than most of us will ever know.

Hey Stan, how long are thinking this stack will be?  On a very long stack an exhaust fan may be needed. with an adjustable control , That way you can fine tune the CFM your are exhausting and not pulling out to much to fast

Gary

Thanks , Gary. I'm doing this on the $kinflint budget 
wife.gif
 . The total length will be appox. 6" to 1'  ,  the roof is about 4" from the top of the existing stack . Figured the Fart Fan would work , cut down smoke under the roof .

Thanks . . .

Raining 'Cats and Dogs" here today . Have most of the roof on and the bags of cement for the floor .

Good rest , the old man can just do a day now . . .
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

More shots after rain , sometime tomorrow .

Later . . .

Talking politics , a rest . . .

Got her under the shelter ;

Roofing is almost finished , one square .

At an angle , needed more support for top (was originally was to be Corrigated roofing , too high ) shingles and Ply were getting too much
icon_eek.gif
 /

Our helper getting the cement to flow around the Pole , ( the post were capped prior to cementing them in ).Added a 2X6 and 2  4X4 .After the wind last night , she won't be going anywhere
icon_exclaim.gif

Now , the lights/power , some stone on the floor and placing the vent pipe . I think I', going to use 'hot water ' vent . cheaper and draws the CO2 form the laundry room.

The stone floor (appox. #9 will have to do till next year
wife.gif
 .That's good , no mud .                IDEAS 
icon_idea.gif
   welcome .

Have fun and . . .

Looking good Oldschool! I would suggest digging out the top soil before you add stone. Reason being I would imagine you plan to place concrete at some point and it makes no sense to remove the stone and replace. Figure your elevation off your existing slab for additional concrete (4"?) and 6" of stone, order your stone with "dust" and it will compact nicely. If you go with concrete a year or so from now the stone will harder than a ....well I think you know what I mean :sausage:That's just my 2 cents :biggrin:

Nptwnsmkr , we tired , will get that later . Will have time to save some $ and think . .

Gary , the stack is figuring in at 24" , leaving me room to close my exhaust vent.

I'm getting a 'hotwater heater ' pipe , 4' and a ring to help direct the smoke.

Will be 2' 6" above the roof .

Here goes training again  
confused.gif

Well , as I say . . .

Last edited:
Might as well do a test burn and see what happens! No sense spending more than you need! I think with the lattice side you won't need a stack! KISS (keep it simple Stan)!

Been a bit since I've up dated on the Q-Bana . I've finally decided to take the stack out the side and up. I want to leave the roof intact and have a drip free site to work.

Moved 'Flo' 3" to the left for a Roof vent , then found a Galvinized stove pipe that will work and are moving her back tomorrow for the length of pipe I had... I'll need 1- 90 degree elbow and let her be.

I will be doing the Q-view thing for I fully intend to fire it up and observe my flow , color , smell , amt. and so on...

Will be a day for 'patience' ...
roflmao.gif
 At times like this I get like a little boy and almost pee myself with anticipation
icon_redface.gif

See ya when the party starts . . .

All you need now is a cooler and a keg, And a sign saying "Free Beer and BBQ"

Gary

FREE
icon_eek.gif

icon_exclaim.gif

Dang , man I'm looking at a 'word of mouth' Q - joint... do a certain amt. , invite folks over for a drink (BYOB) or water , and let them smell the love until they pull out the $ for a donation/tip . or bring something to smoke for a donation/tip
biggrin.gif

I have my "TIP" box ready and will get a shot of it tomorrow...
cool.gif

As posted earlier on Q-Bana ... will install and test on Tues. , with some  
goodluck.gif

Later,Tater . . .

Campsmoke , I was think a 'fart fan' would work ...
thumb1.gif
 .The stack will be about 6" from the roof ; enough to keep to heat from scortching anything .

But I.m wondering if that would help the drafting , or is more exhaust pipe needed
icon_question.gif
 lenghthing my pipe above the roof
icon_exclaim.gif
 My objective is to reduce smoke in the 'Bana' and still have good draft
icon14.gif

Thanks . . .
Hey Old School, I have read and used your knowledge about smoking, now maybe I can be assistance to you. To get proper draft with no back draft you have to measure  towards the highest point of your roof 10 feet and put the top of you exhaust stack 2 foot higher than that point. In other words 2 foot higher than the highest point of your roof with in 10 feet of exhaust stack. It is called the 10/2 rule and is used for fireplaces and smoke stacks that penetrate a roof. I hope I did not confuse you...Tim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky