pulling and slicing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kmitch007

Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Philadelphia Pa (South Philly)
Can anyone give me some advice about which piece of pork is better for pulling and which is better for slicing. I will be smoking a picnic and a butt but i don't know which is best for pulling or slicing or does it make a difference.

Hey Kmitch, both cuts are from the shoulder of the pig.  The butt is more marbled with fat, so it is better for pulling.  I would say the picnic would be better for slicing.  Both are great tasting roasts though!

Both of those cuts are good for both pulling and slicing...it just depends on how long you cook them!

I would debone the butt and use that for slicing, I thing it may be easier to slice due to the shape.

I find that I get a better pulled product from the Picnics, That's why I usually mix butts and picnics for pulling.

I would debone the butt and use that for slicing, I thing it may be easier to slice due to the shape.

I find that I get a better pulled product from the Picnics, That's why I usually mix butts and picnics for pulling.
X2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky