Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
I have a couple of pork butts in the freezer, a lot of time on my hands, and the wife has been suggesting pulled pork for a few weeks now. This butt has no bone, and I believe it's the other half of one I used for sausage meat a couple of months ago.

Yesterday afternoon I rubbed it with yellow mustard and applied a homemade Cajun-style rub. I meant to get it on the smoker before 9:00, but waited on some light rain to move out so I wouldn't have to keep the smoker in the garage all day (and now that I have it up and running a small cell is building west of us).

1Dreary.jpg
Dreary, yucky morning.

1Pork.jpg
The star of this show (the pic came out really yellowish, now that I pay more attention).

1Mailbox.jpg
Mailbox mod with Pitmaster pellets, combination of hickory and apple chips in the tray. Starting things off at 190.

1Window.jpg
And this MES is over seven years old, and gets used a ton, but I cleaned it up last week. I just had to show off the glass while I can still see through it!

IT of just above 140 after almost 4 hours. I know that stall is coming, too, and it aggravates me every time.

Haven't I heard that after 140 the meat doesn't take on smoke? Do I remember the temp right?

Looks awesome! This has me daydreaming of Sunday when I get to smoke a butt of my own. That's just what I needed to see. Thank you for the preview. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm doing a double shift today so this is a very welcome distraction during my lunch. Be safe.

G

Reactions: bertman
IT of just above 140 after almost 4 hours. I know that stall is coming, too, and it aggravates me every time.

Haven't I heard that after 140 the meat doesn't take on smoke? Do I remember the temp right?
Seems like I've heard that, too. Don't let the rain ruin you!
The wife has been on you to make PP and you've waited til now?
I'd have been all over it LOL!

Seems like I've heard that, too. Don't let the rain ruin you!
The wife has been on you to make PP and you've waited til now?
I'd have been all over it LOL!
I've made it before (probably even have some buried in the freezer right now), but she saw the pork butts in the freezer and thought she needed to add to my list of things to do!

I pulled this last night (early this morning) around 12:30 am. It was at 193, but I'm not the late night partier I used to be, and I just couldn't stay up any later. It was on the smoker for a total of ten hours.

I rested it for about 15 minutes, threw it in the fridge, and headed to bed.

After breakfast and coffee this morning, I pulled it all. I packaged it in 1/2 lb. packages for the two of us still at home, and will deliver a couple of these to my parents, since we are all on lockdown for a while.

It turned out REALLY good. There are some areas where the meat was slightly tougher, but even those were tender. Most of this was very tender. The smoke was maybe the best I've been able to get from my MES, and the spice was perfect. I saved out about a half of a pound for dinner tonight.

2Pork1.jpg

2Pork.jpg

2Pork2.jpg

I pulled this last night (early this morning) around 12:30 am. It was at 193, but I'm not the late night partier I used to be, and I just couldn't stay up any later. It was on the smoker for a total of ten hours.

I rested it for about 15 minutes, threw it in the fridge, and headed to bed.

After breakfast and coffee this morning, I pulled it all. I packaged it in 1/2 lb. packages for the two of us still at home, and will deliver a couple of these to my parents, since we are all on lockdown for a while.

It turned out REALLY good. There are some areas where the meat was slightly tougher, but even those were tender. Most of this was very tender. The smoke was maybe the best I've been able to get from my MES, and the spice was perfect. I saved out about a half of a pound for dinner tonight.

View attachment 437269

View attachment 437271

View attachment 437272
P.P. in the freezer is a great "I don't feel like cooking tonight" meal. All you need is buns, coleslaw and maybe some fries :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky