Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daricksta

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
Pulled Pork 1.jpg
Pulled Pork 2.jpg
Pulled Pork 3.jpg

I bought an 8 lb. bone-in pork shoulder some time ago and last week I took it out of the freezer and made some smoked pulled pork. I used a combo of two different dry rubs. the roast fit easily on one rack of my MES 30 Gen 1. The overall smoking temp was between 225-232° over the 17 hours it stayed in my smoker. Only two hiccups: During the first few of hours, the temp got up in the 260s and burned the entire AMNPS tray of apple wood pellets. Number 2 was when I put in a new tray of just lit apple pellets for the overnight cook. When I checked the smoker at around 8 am, I found the pellets snuffed out shortly after I lit them. I was counting on a nightful of smoke to flavor the roast. I re-lit the tray and it kept burning until the IT hit 203° about 90 minutes later. Miracle of miracles, the meat had actually absorbed enough of what I call a"round" smoky flavor where the smoke enhances the meat but doesn't overpower it. The smoke flavor was even more pronounced and round the next day. And this is why I'm such a huge fan of A-MAZE-N smokers, pellets, and Dust.

The pork meat pulled beautifully, and I'm especially proud of the bark I got.

Two days before this I smoked a rack of beef back ribs but failed to take any photos, darn it. These were much meatier beef ribs, different from the ones I smoked about a couple of weeks before that. I got excellent bark and the beef was like this pulled pork, tender, easily pulled, and flavorful. Next time there will be photos.

Last edited:
Great looking pulled pork. Thats a like for me, love the bark on it. My question for you is where did you find your shredders? Those look great for that task!!

Reactions: daricksta
Looks really good from my screen. Nice job.

Point for sure

Chris

Reactions: daricksta
ab canuck ab canuck My wife saw them in a Fine Cooking magazine 5 years ago. They were part of a Steven Raichlen ad and she ordered almost everything on that page for my Father's Day gifts.

They're Charcoal Companion Meat Claws, and you can order them on Amazon since it looks like Home Depot doesn't carry it at their Canadian locations. I was going to include a link to the Amazon page but I guess SMF no longer allows it.

Just go to Amazon and search for Charcoal Companion CC1130 HEAT-RESISTANT BPA-Free Durable Stainless Steel Meat Claws.
In my search I found a bunch of such meat shredding claws. These work great. My wife has small hands but she uses them when she makes pork carnitas.

Rick

Thank you to everyone for your kind compliments. The bark turned out exactly as I hoped it would. I got the same kind of bark with the beef back ribs. The MES 30 Gen 1 is a great little smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky