Pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kfactor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
sk can
Am going to try pulled pork for the first time on my smoker . What's the best cut for it ? And what temp do u guys smoke it at

I use both butts http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/135018/smoke-for-tomorrows-meal-mes-30-amnps

& picnics http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/132378/1st-attempt-at-pulled-pork-with-new-amnps-mes/20

for pulled pork & they both turn out good. The butts have a slightly higher fat to meat ratio than the picnics. The picnics have a stronger pork flavor & mostly have to be taken to a little higher IT because they have more connective tissue thus taking longer to finish. Most would say just use a butt but I am happy with either one 
biggrin.gif

I smoke both of them at 225* but some people use a higher temp... I don't use any water in my pan & I don't foil - I like bark too much 
drool.gif

Reactions: newsmokeguy
  Hi K. Most people use the boston butt and smoke between 225-250. However, there are few 'hard and fast' rules to smoking meat! Keep a god log and change things up each time. You will find what YOU really like. 

Mike

Thanks for the feed back guys what I.T do u guys hit to know when it's done and all be using my side fire box .

I personally like a little chew to my meat so I'll pull it at 195-200 and let it rest in the foil to finish the job. The meat will always tell you when it's done. A popular thing people tend to do is the toothpick test, where the meat will be done when a toothpick slides in and out easily like going through warm butter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky