Pulled pork with.......... (help!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

napalm

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
South Coast - England
Hi all,

I need help. Serious help. My good lady went and collected our meat from the butchers for a gatherings we are having tomorrow. Amongst this was a butt to do Pulled Pork with.
PP is rarely heard of I'm these parts and our friends are looking forward to trying it. The problem is that the butcher has forgotten to send the Butt and there's no way I can get any more meat in time.
Is there any way at all that I can create something that resembles pulled pork with what I have, which is about 4lbs of pork steaks?
Help!

are they cut into steaks yet?  If they are, I think you are out of luck...if not, then that is just the shoulder and should smoke up fine.  I think the steaks would get too dry trying to cook them all the way to a temp to be able to pull them.  Can still smoke the steaks to a lower temp and get the flavor that way...just not the texture of pp.

Hi all,

I need help. Serious help. My good lady went and collected our meat from the butchers for a gatherings we are having tomorrow. Amongst this was a butt to do Pulled Pork with.
PP is rarely heard of I'm these parts and our friends are looking forward to trying it. The problem is that the butcher has forgotten to send the Butt and there's no way I can get any more meat in time.
Is there any way at all that I can create something that resembles pulled pork with what I have, which is about 4lbs of pork steaks?
Help!

If the pork steaks have good marbling I would smoke for about 3hrs or so then tightly wrap in foil with some apple juice and braise it the rest of the way so it pulls apart. But it would again depend on the pork. If its really lean loin mean then that might be hard but if its what we call in the states country style ribs then your good.

I agree with bmudd, and worst case do as directed than if you can't have pulled than chop it and use the finishing sauce. just my thoughts if I were in your pinch. good luck

Thanks for the replies gents! I'll do as directed and see where it goes. Will post the Q-View tomorrow once it's all over.
Really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

You will be fine Smoking the steaks as Brian suggests. About once a month the local meat store puts what they call Boneless Country Style Ribs on sale. They are nothing more than 2cm thick steaks off the Butt. I smoke them the same way...JJ 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky