pulled pork today...........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob1961

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 15, 2010
lackawaxen, PA.
pulled pork is on the menu today, i have a few friends coming over....we all know what a raw pork shoulder looks like so no pic's as of yet....but what i'm posting this thread about is the dreaded stall. i read from this link i found on here....

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html

i was doing PP last summer and as i was in the middle of the smoke i came here and read up on stall from that link....i foiled the last butt at 149 as i caught it after i read the link saying to foil between 140 and 150, so i did and had no stall....i set up for a 9 hour smoke starting fire at 2am and timed it to eat at 3pm when everyone was here after i put it in the cooler at 12 noon....well it was done at 9:30am and in the cooler it went, but left the cooler in the hot august sun....when i pulled it at 3pm it was still 175 degree's and super tender....

so i'm trying to see if that day was a fluke or that link hit something on avoiding the stall....butt went in smoker at 8:30 with smoker temp at 200 looking to foil at 145 and see what happens, i'll post up as things get rolling....

well at 11:30 the outside temp was 39 and meat is at 120, rinning my smoker temp at 275....

Last edited:
strange thing??, i posted and 4 replies came up....went to delete and no delete feature found....now only 2 are up ???....

Last edited:
Each piece of meat sometimes has a mind of it's own.  The only thing I have found is the bone-in butts do better in my SV than the boneless.  Boneless seem to have more a stall for me.  Now...that has been just my experience.  The last boneless one I did...took over 20 hours...now that was in a cheapo electric Brinkman too.  BUT....it was great at the end.

Kat

Hi Bob, I have wanted to delete some of my own stuff at times as well - it would be nice to have a "delete own" feature.

Now as for the butt! No two butts are ever the same - I always plan for two hours per pound and if it comes out less all the better!

I don't foil because I am a bark man but foiling does get you through the stall much quicker.  You said you didn't experience any stall?  Thank your lucky stars because that is a very rare occurance.

But, here is the main thing - Q-View man!

Let's see some pics because...

th_nopicsye3.gif

Bill

lol, yeah i know picture thing....way i looked at that was everyone seen a raw shoulder before, plus every shoulder looks the same with rub on it :sausage: ....right now my temp is up to 170 almost 6 hours in now, but i think the 26 degree outside temp is playing it's part :devil: ....i'll have a table picture with everything i made....besides the pork sammies i made oven baked mac and cheese with bacon, home made cole slaw and a finishing sauce :drool ....

well meat temp is at 195 as of now, friends will be coming in bout 4/4:30 to eat at 5:30 so all looks like all is goods....
no stall and i'm at 7 hours now, i'm happy and pictures will be up soon....

Last edited:
yeah i know pictures, but it got crazy when folks got here couldn't get them, so sorry....when i last posted the temp shot to 200 real fast, went in cooler and the temp went up to 205 before it started to fall....came out great tasting and tender, cole slaw was a big hit, mac & cheese was good but it could have used more milk as i went with less milk then the recipe called for....kinda came out on the less creamy side....once again sorry for no pictures, but i think the shoulder did good with foiling at 145 and never stalled, took a bit longer but i count the 26 degree weather with a good wind kicking up every once in awhile....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky