Pulled Pork This weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PacBeachsmoker

Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
San Diego
Making a couple of butts this weekend, one for a party, one to stash in the freezer. I have had very good success with the first half dozen or so butts I've smoked but looking to do something different.

I've got couple of questions for y'all.

-Going to try injecting Cherry Dr Pepper. Seems like a spicier rub might contrast with that better. I typically use Magic Dust which is kinds sweet itself. Any thoughts?

-Has anyone ever injected Italian dressing? Saw this online the other day.

-Any one have a Pulled pork rub that they just love? I know there are tons on here but I can get lost in it pretty easy.

-Fat side up when smoking or down?

-I've smoked butts in a pan but am going right on the grate this time with pans next level below to catch the dripping, then finish off covered in the pan. Thoughts

Thanks for the advice!!

S

Sorry I don't inject the butts, and only use SPOG and sometimes mix in a little cayenne pepper as a rub. Fat cap up or down is a never ending discussion around here. Some folks go up, and some go down. With me I go down because my heat source is directly below my meat.

Chris

My thoughts:
1. Many like injecting (I will never do a butt without) and many like using Cherry Dr Pepper. Reason it works so well is soda/pop contains phosphate. I suggest trying apple juice first.
2. Italian dressing would probably be too aggressive/obvious and I want the effect subtle so, pass.
3. Rub is not critical for butt. In fact, I did one without a rub at all and was just a good as one rubbed. I'd start with Jeff's rub. Sauce is even better...
4. Fat down here but if over 1/8" thick, trim.
5. If using phosphate/soda there will be no drippings, just fat.

Reactions: OILFIELDTOOL
Since you are in SoCal and asking about rubs, I use Lucille’s rub. It is a big hit with my eaters so it makes it worth it. And you can buy a Lucill’s Gift card at Costco to dciscount the cost of the rub and their sauces if you choose.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky