Pulled pork injections

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
Going to inject my next pork butt. How much should I use for a 4lb piece total, and how much per injection?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I use as much as the cryovac will hold. I did a 9 1/4# shoulder sunday that took about 40 oz. I fill the injector and stab away evenly, don't have to be perfect. Now I do this the day before, I inject about half and wait a few hours and do it again after it soaks the first batch in. 

Last butt i did i just mixed some of the rub i was using with enough Cherry Dr Pepper to make it injectable(word???) :) More or less just wanted to get my rub throughout the butt.

Thanks guys, I never injected before because I didn't want to have to hassle with getting it to 140 in 4 hours, but next time I may inject it & smoke it at a higher temp until I hit 140 then drop it back down.

Thanks guys, I never injected before because I didn't want to have to hassle with getting it to 140 in 4 hours, but next time I may inject it & smoke it at a higher temp until I hit 140 then drop it back down.
Exactly what Al said, plus I wouldn't worry about it as much now that I have a 1200 watt MES 40.

Bear

Don't inject either, I really don't see a need for it on Butts, with that said... If you do inject, make sure to leave out any vinegar based liquids.

I usually will inject 'em with apple juice mixed with some of my rub, and let that mixture sit for a couple hours with a few sage leaves floating in it before I inject it. I've also mixed-in some of my homemade chicken stock from time to time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky