Pulled Pork Home Run now with video q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

themidniteryder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Inland Empire-Nuevo Ca.
Yesterday we did 2 8lb butts, a bunch of chicken, and a big bot of beans for a friends birthday party. I didn't get any pictures of the prep, but I did get a couple of the cook and final product. I did however get video of the prep and pull and as soon as I can get it processed, edited, and complied I will be posting it on this thread. This cook wasn't just a home run, I knocked it out of the park! Perfect pull, not over or under cooked, this one was right on the money.

Friday night trimmed, injected and rubbed with a all around rub I make. Injection was 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar. Wrapped in saran wrap, and did an experiment. 1 butt was wrapped and put in the fridge. The other was wrapped and vacuum packed before going in the fridge. The result of the vacuum packed one was noticeable. Better coloring, a little moister meat, a little darker bark. Pics I did get:

On the grate at 4:15 am. cooked around 245-255 for 11 hours.

3 hours into it the outside was starting to seal up.

6 hours into it and time to foil. I usually wait a little longer but I was going for a little less bark.

Added apple juice when I foiled. I kept them foiled until they were 197 internal temp. Took them inside and opened the foil for about 15 minutes to help stop the cooking before closing the foil, wrapping in a towel and putting them in the cooler for a 2 hour rest. Here is what we saw after the rest, and yes I had to cut a sample. The bones pulled out clean, or rather they popped out on their own nearly.

And the pull.

It don't get no better than that! Again, I am working on a video series to go with this and hopefully have it up in a day or two depending on how slow this computer wants to be.

Last edited:
drool.gif
made me drool!  Video could help the newbies!  Good thinking!

Ok, I got some video's posted up on youtube, just the basics. No use showing 10 minutes of trimming fat and such.

The Trim:

The injection:

The mustard rub:

The all important rub. Watch directly on youtube and you will find the rub ingredients in the video description.

After rub wrap:

After 4 hours in the smoke:

And what you have all been waiting for, The Pull:

Reactions: kathrynn
The videos were great, very informative. That looked really tasty. You said that was for a client, but I hope you sampled some! Would it be OK to use the leftover juice to moisten the meat when reheating?

The videos were great, very informative. That looked really tasty. You said that was for a client, but I hope you sampled some! Would it be OK to use the leftover juice to moisten the meat when reheating?
Yes, in fact we used a fat separator similar to this to separated and reserve some of the juice just for that purpose if needed. As it turned out, it wasnt needed, client said only enough leftovers for 2 sammies.

And of course I got a sample. wouldn't want to send out a bad batch would we?
30.gif

Looks really good but I am confused...

Quote: "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]6 hours into it and time to foil. I usually wait a little longer but I was going for a little less bark."  I don't understand - Yo no comprende!!  [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]What mean less bark?  More Bark, more bark, more bark   [/color]
th_violent5.gif

I love me some good bark on a butt!!!!!

Bill

Looks really good but I am confused...

Quote: "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]6 hours into it and time to foil. I usually wait a little longer but I was going for a little less bark."  I don't understand - Yo no comprende!!  [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]What mean less bark?  More Bark, more bark, more bark   [/color]
th_violent5.gif

I love me some good bark on a butt!!!!!

Bill
Oh, I agree on more bark. But this was a custom smoke for a catered party, and most folks out here don't care for a lot of bark. I have seen them look at a beautiful bark and think the meat was overdone and burnt. They just don't get it, do they?

You did a great job on the video...and of course the butt too!

I do think that it would be good for some of the new members who are a bit worried about their first pulled pork.

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Kat. I know a lot of folks are intimidated by pork butts, I think because they are such a thick piece of meat. But they are pretty forgiving and usually a cheap enough meat to start with. I would rather flub op on $1.50/lb pork than $3.50/lp brisket thats for sure.

Great videos!  I think I'll try injecting my Superbowl butts.
Thanks! The videos arent up to my normal standard. My main computer fried a couple monts ago and my backup is too slow to edit video. heck it won't even play the video straight off the hard drive. I have to upload to youtube then watch. The 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar works good, but dont be afraid to think outside the box with some other flavor profiles, as long as it will go through the injection needle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky