Pulled Pork for 85 of my closet friends!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pastor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Byron Center (Grand Rapids), MI
I need a little help here guys. I have a Smokin It 2. I need to deliver pulled pork for 85 friends on Tuesday (Oct 6, 2015) evening at 5:00. After figuring up about 31lbs (raw weight) ought to do it;
1) should I will order 3- 10lb + boneless netted roasts; or 6- 5lb netted roasts?
Next I will rub it all (w Jeff's famous rub recipie) and load up the smoker.
2) Should I set my temp for the normal 225' or what temp?
3) Do I need to baste?
4) How long should they take to reach 200+?
5) Do I need to rotate their positions?
6) How much smoke do I need?

I welcome any and all words of wisdom!! :grilling_smilie:

This might be helpful, its a lot of good information.    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/235755/number-of-butts-for-a-crowd

This is from the above link, I think you need more raw product.  plug in your numbers to see

"6oz portions X 60 guests = 360oz Pulled Pork / 16 oz per Lb = 22.5 lbs PP / .5 (50% yield) = 45Lbs Raw Butts needed / 8lb average"

I personally inject each pork butt with apple juice(10oz to 14oz in each butt) and my rub mix then rub them down 2 to 10 hours before.  I'll cook the pork butts at 250 degrees, roughly 1 to 1.25 hours per pound.  I'll smoke them for 6 hours using oak and cherry, after the 6 hour mark I put them in foil pans and cover.  I run a Maverick to check the internal temp, when it reaches 200ish I take them off and let them rest for 1 to 2 hours before pulling.

I'm sure there are many other techniques from the other members, but this works best for me and I've never had any complaints yet.

Good luck!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky