Pulled Pork - First time qview

Discussion in 'Pork' started by rowdyrawhide, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rowdyrawhide

rowdyrawhide Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

My mother in law asked me if I would smoke some pulled pork for a work party she is having.  Of course I couldn't say no.  Sorry no before pics, but here are some of it ready to go.

2 butts,17.5 lbs total precook weight, trimmed of most of the heavy fat. started at 8:45 pm last night and pulled of the WSM at 12:45 today, 16 hrs.  206 IT when taken of the WSM, foiled, toweled, and in the cooler, three hrs later still 186 IT and too hot to pull with bare hands.  

[​IMG]

Pulled and in the roaster.

[​IMG]

Here is the bone

[​IMG]

Here is a sampler plate with some SoFlaQuers Finishing Sauce

[​IMG]

Bear View

Thanks for Lookin'

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great Rowdy!!!!

Nice Bark in that mix!!!

MIL must be happy!!!  LOL---MIL Happy = Wife Happy = Everybody Happy !!!

Nice BearView Too !!!

Thanks,

Bear

3. daddydon

daddydon Smoke Blower

Looking Good ....Gotta keep the mil happy[​IMG] Food looked great, good bark and looked moist[​IMG]

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks great! [​IMG]

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Excellent looking PP.

Love the bark!

[​IMG]

6. danjames

danjames Newbie

The pulled pork looks amazing. I can't believe it takes 16 hours to cook though? Isn't there a faster way to do this?

Sarah

Orlando Italian Restaurant 

7. rowdyrawhide

You can cook it faster at a higher temp, but I think low and slow is the best for most things on the smoker, I try to dial my smoker in around 225-230 if I can.  However, my chicken is cooked around 275.  

8. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That is a long time, or did you not foil either?? That will definitely make a difference.

EDIT: saw you foiled.  I have actually done an 8 1/2 lb butt in 9 1/2 hours now. After reaching 170º internal and foiling took the smoker up to 295º. Saw no difference in the taste of the meat or its smokiness.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. rowdyrawhide

You are correct flash I did not foil this one until I pulled it off the smoker, so no foil at 6-ish hours on this one.  I do it sometimes, and when I do it will tend to shave a couple hrs off typically.

Nice catch Flash

10. very nice looking pork!!!!

11. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

thats is some great looking pulled pork.. Nice job

12. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Job