Pulled my Cast Iron out....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
So I needed a diversion and decided to try making tortillas for the first time. Since the recipe calls for a cast iron pan, I rummaged through the garage and found my cast iron collection.
IMG_4976.JPG

It had been a number of years since I last worked them, and a couple were in pretty sad shape. The dutch oven was covered with sticky residue and the loaf pan a little residue as well.

IMG_4978.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG

In a couple places the original seasoning has flaked off. I did the No No and gave them all a hot water and soap bath and put them in the oven to dry.

I want to take a wire brush/sand paper to them to smooth them out a bit and then re-season them, but will be a later project.

I just have to research how best to re-season cast iron.

But, the big fry pan was looking good, so I put a couple light layers of Crisco on, in the oven at 400 for and hour or so and it looks ready.

Now that I have a pan ready (4 hours later), I am going to start my original plan: home made flour tortillas. Wish me luck!!

Mark

Nothing wrong with soap and water on them to get gunk off . I just had one I needed to do . I threw it in the fire place while I was watching football .
20221215_221023.jpg

Never made flour . Done corn before . Good luck .

Look forward to seeing your homemade tortillas! Wife did some for her first time as well today...turned out really good! And kinda the same as you...the CI she used was barely big enough! So I went to our camping trailer and got one plenty big enough...but needed a little cleaning as well.

20230115_172202.jpg

1st pan

20230115_172112.jpg

2nd pan...that would make one heck of a tortilla lol!

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H and bauchjw
Thanks Everyone.

It took longer to clean the cast iron than roll out and cook the tortillas!!

Clearly, I have to do a better job with consistent sizes.

IMG_4979.JPG

Recipe said to roll out till you can almost see through it....
IMG_4982.JPG

The First One.....
IMG_4980.JPG

Huh.... I thought there were supposed to be multiple bubbles....
IMG_4984.JPG

The Final Result...
IMG_4986.JPG

All in all, a fun diversion! I was impressed with the texture. Flavor was ok, but I can see these being really good taco/burrito tortillas. Heck, just melted butter and roll um up!!! Wife liked them. Her comment was, and I quote: "They taste like tortillas". I will do them again. Good Times.

Mark

I've had good luck using scotchbrite with hot soapy water to get the old crud off. Usually used either canola oil or pork lard for the seasoning

Back in the 70's at the mexican restaurants in south Texas that was what they brought out before the meal. Flour tortillas and butter. No chips and dip back then.

Those look great ! I should try the flour . With corn , for a 6" tortilla I roll out a 2 oz. ball .
I use a tortilla press for those , might not sure that works with the flour .

Thx. Obviously, I didn't measure the size of the balls, just pinched off an amount and used a rolling pin. I didn't show the small ones or the ones that looked like an oval or trapezoid :emoji_sunglasses:

Do you have a recipe for these?
Flour tortillas are one of the few things I've never been able to figure out.....
If you want to shingle a roof my tortillas are perfect.
Can make the best pitas you've ever had but forget these lol

Here ya go. They are not the best instructions because I watched a couple of YouTube videos and just wrote out what made sense to me. I used Crisco. They were pretty OK plain, good with melted butter and I think they will be really good with taco meat or even as a small quesadilla. Good luck and post the cook! This is only the second time in all the years I have tried to make something with bread that I could actually say tasted good enough to keep trying. The other thing was english muffins on my Blackstone griddle.

FLOUR TORTILLAS

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour, plus additional as needed
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup either Crisco or lard (Morrell)
  • 1 cup water, hot, (about 110°F to 120°F)
Instructions
  • In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • Add the Crisco/lard. Use your fingers to work the Crisco into the flour.
  • Pour in ½ of the hot water , and mix to bring the dough together into a shaggy mass. Stir in remaining water as needed to bring the dough together. It will be sticky.
  • Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead for 5-8 minutes, until the dough forms a smooth ball. (I had to add about 1/4 cup or more of flour during kneading to keep it from being a sticky mess).
  • Pat the ball with Crisco and return to bowl and cover. Rest for about 15 minutes. Divide the dough into equal pieces. Round the pieces into balls, flatten slightly, and allow them to rest, covered, for about 10 minutes. If you wish, coat each ball lightly in oil before covering; this ensures the dough doesn't dry out.
  • While the dough rests, preheat an ungreased griddle or skillet over medium high heat, about 400°F.
  • Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into a round about 8" in diameter, almost thin enough to see through. Keep the remaining dough covered while you work.
  • Cook the tortilla in the ungreased pan until bubbly and brown. Wrap the tortilla in a clean cloth when it comes off the griddle, to keep it pliable. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
  • If there are leftovers, allow them to cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic and store in the refrigerator. Reheat in an ungreased skillet, or for a few seconds in the microwave.

They look good! Never made them before. And it gets old buying a pack of them and seeing the rest go to waste. And, no harm in using soap on CI when needed. The lodge chainmail scrubber works really well on tough spots. Then just dry in 400 degree oven. Remove and let cool. Wipe down with oil. And bake for a hour.

If you want to shingle a roof my tortillas are perfect.

Something I found to be key to making tortillas is holding them after they come out of the pan . I bought a tortilla warmer to put them in , but you could use a Pyrex dish with a lid and a towel . It lets them steam all together and they get soft and flexible .
These are corn . They were pretty stiff when they came off the heat . The tortilla warmer is on the counter .
20220531_175610.jpg
I think the warmer was about 20 bucks . It evens transforms the store bought tortillas .

Reactions: kuroki
A store bought tortilla smeared with Old El Paso fat free refried beans, scatter on some shredded cheese, pour on some Ortega sauce, throw on some chopped onions, and nuke it in the microwave until it gets warm enough for you. Like a quick pizza style snack!

I need to learn how to make flour tortillas. Yours look good to me!

As far as seasoning cast iron, if the bottom and sides of a skillet or whatever are still well seasoned I just smear some Crisco inside the warm pan, put it back on the burner upside down, and crank up the hear to medium low. I let it heat up until the Crisco smokes for a while then turn off the burner. I may do this 3 times to touch up the seasoning. Works like a charm.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky