Pulled Chuck - Advice Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good evening

I have a 3.5lb Chuck roast thawing that I plan to smoke, to pull, on Sunday. I’ll be running my smoker at 250*.

I plan to pan and foil.

What rough time estimate should I be thinking? 6 hours?

Thanks!

6 hours might not be long enough.. it might be too long.

It all depends on the weather, humidity, temp etc..
Instead of worrying about a set time.. use a meat temp probe and rely on that to tell you when it's done.

Cook it Sat. So you don't have to sweat it Sunday just toss it into a steamer to reheat it.
I've had Chuckies take twice as long as I expected to smoke more than a few times, so now I do them all the day before I need them.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just smoked a 2.75# chuck at 225 the other day and it took 7 hours to get to 195 and decently probe tender. I wrapped in paper at around hour 4.5.

The one thing about chucks is that their size can vary from longer and thinner to more plump in size . I find the plump ones tend to take longer.

I just did a pulled chuck. they are rather slow and long to cook. I ran it at 250. I would plan on 8+ hours to be safe. I dropped it in a pan with some Guinness after it hit about 170 I think. cooked it to about 205, could have gone a touch longer, but pulled nicely.

Reactions: chopsaw
Day ahead is good advice . Plan for longer , good advice . Last chuck roast I did was 11 hours .

Well, we're all over the board it seems. I usually plan 6-7hrs for chuckies. In the smoke 3ish hours to 150-160°F IT then in a covered pan with red wine and beef stock and some rough chopped onion, celery and carrots on the bottom. until pullable, another 3ish hrs. So... give yourself at least 8hrs, lol.

Good morning. I got the chuck roast on (along with a butt) about 2 hours ago (6 AM). I feel like it is moving along really quick. Am I crazy?

Traeger is set at 250*.

IT of the Chuck is already at 144*.

If I don’t get it wrapped and panned for a few hours, will it be OK? I’m at the point of either wrapping it in about 20 minutes before church or letting it ride for a few hours as is.
8B07D7B1-9E91-4B6A-AAB8-CEF74F562D71.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I'm replying too late to help you decide but it should be fine, may get a touch dry on top if you let it go or maybe not depending on fat, looks like there's a good bit there that's about to ooze out. I find they heat up quick like yours did (I have a pellet smoker too) then slow up. I'd like it out of the pan longer to help render fat but it will still be OK if you did.

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky