1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pulled chicken ..thighs or whole

Discussion in 'Catering & Large Group Gatherings' started by kdfiter, Jan 11, 2019.

1. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

Wi
    I've been searching the forum and couldnt find what most people use for large amounts of pulled chicken.. thighs or whole chicken

2. Whole. I'm about to post my pulled chicken cook from this past weekend.

kdfiter likes this.
  3. Bigtank

Bigtank Fire Starter

I like thighs it's easier to keep them consistent and juicy.

kdfiter likes this.
  4. kdfiter likes this.
  5. SecondHandSmoker

SecondHandSmoker Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Definitely whole yardbirds as opposed to thighs. And as Preacher Man said above, brine them.

6. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

I did thighs one time and wasn’t too impressed. Actually turned out kind of dry but could have been because of user error and too many beers.

Hoping to try whole birds for pulled chicken soon. Did a brined smoked spatchcocked turkey for thanksgiving and it was 10x better than the fried one I did.

kdfiter likes this.
  7. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Maybe I'm to late . This is what I did . Whole bird injected with the veggie stock cure mixture . Smoked , rested and shredded .
    20180128_140424.jpg
    This is the bird broke down . Legs , thighs and the breast meat .
    Stock and cure gives it some color .
    20180129_162035.jpg
    Makes a great sandwich .
    cured.jpg

kdfiter likes this.
  8. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

For me, 99% of the time I use Thighs for eveything containing chicken. The dish, Pulled or otherwise has a consistent texture. Pulled Breast meat like pulled Porkloin has a drier mouthfeel compared to Thighs and Pork Butt. In the long run Price dictates what choice I make. I am not opposed to using either. In area markets, Thighs are usually cheaper, than whole birds, and on sale much more frequently. We like whole 8 lb birds roasted or smoked then carved, 4 lb Fryer/Broilers for Fried Chicken...JJ

9. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

Wi
    When you do your thighs do you chop and mix skins in with the your pulled chicken..I watched a show where the restaurant takes all the skins after smoking then crisps them up in the oven then chops and mixes

10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I remove the skin and Crisp them but salt them and serve like cracklin's. Even crisp, a few minutes in the pulled chicken and sauce, makes them soft again. The family does not like the texture...JJ

kdfiter likes this.
  11. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ya do the cracklin in the oven or fryer JJ, I might try the new air fryer.

kdfiter likes this.
  12. chef jimmyj

Either works but I usually use the convection oven, 400 unail done. Air Fryer would probably do a good job...JJ

danmcg likes this.