Pulled chicken question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Need to make 5# of pulled chicken. Is my math right that 10# of bone in skin on thighs will yield 5# of meat? Want to get this right the first time around. Thanks to all replies.

I'd use boneless thighs. Less waste. Sorry I can't help you with the amounts on the bone-in.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I'd use boneless thighs. Less waste. Sorry I can't help you with the amounts on the bone-in.

Chris
Yea that was a thought but worried about getting dry & tough on outside. Do u smoke them for awhile then pan with cover & some kind of liquid?

Yea that was a thought but worried about getting dry & tough on outside. Do u smoke them for awhile then pan with cover & some kind of liquid?

I don't, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. I would brine them for a few hours(use your favorite brine) then smoke them indirect until they reach temp. For brined thighs I'd pull them at 170*. Let them sit on the counter until you pull them.

edit: smoke at a lower temp: 225 to 230*.
Chris

Yes. Bone in, Skin on Thighs, yields about 50% Pulled Chicken...JJ

I have been weighing my food to help me lose and maintain weight. I have found the bone from a thigh after cooking at least weighs about 4 oz on average. edited remembered weight

Last edited:
Plan to brine for 4 hrs then rinse then a dusting of rub. Smoke at 220-230 with hickory until 170-175. Should they be sprayed with liquid (apple juice) every 30 minutes? Or will brine & rub keep them from drying on outside? As said before first time an what to get right. Then pull & mixed with some bbq sauce. Will be making some of Jeffs Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive bbq sauce because that stuff is bangin on poultry.

They shouldn't be in long enough to dry out the brine. Spritzing will allow a smokier flavor if desired. Make sure your smoke is thin and blue if you choose to spritz...JJ

During the summer I was smoking about 50 thighs once a week for pulled chicken. Bone in with skin. I take them to 185, just because they fall off the bone better...still plenty moist.
Also have done 70% dark and 30% white meat.
I buy the thighs usually on sale 50 or 69 cents a lb.

During the summer I was smoking about 50 thighs once a week for pulled chicken. Bone in with skin. I take them to 185, just because they fall off the bone better...still plenty moist.
Also have done 70% dark and 30% white meat.
I buy the thighs usually on sale 50 or 69 cents a lb.

That stuff you bring to the gathering is great.

Reactions: hardcookin
I don’t smoke the skinless thighs to pull but at about 170 they are succulent. I’ve yet to brine any of them but I do love to wrap them in bacon. I think if I wanted to pull them I would use the bone in. They are always really juicy and tender. You might want to consider smoking them in a foil pan. If you tuck pats of margarine between the pieces it is really amazing. I got the idea from a video from YouTube. Works really well on my OKJ.

G

Well I ended up doing 10# of boneless skinless thighs. didn't brine because bought at WW. Processed with 15% salt & broth. Pulled at 175. Shredded & sauce to my liking. Real good in my opinion.Put in freezer for weekend party. Going to thaw out then put in crock pot to reheat. Might have to add a little more sauce then. Now to wait to see what the critics say.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky