PSA on Pellet Storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
So we've all heard over and over don't store your pellets on concrete. Now I know why. After cooking Christmas meal last Sunday I sat an almost empty bag of pellets on the ground at some point. Might have been 5 lbs of pellets left in it, maybe less. I've always been aware to not leave them on concrete thanks to several things I've seen & read on the internet but we left out the next day (Monday) and only returned late Thursday and I didn't pick them up. So last night I was searing a couple of steaks and grabbed that bag off the concrete. I was shocked what I found in the sack & how fast the pellets deteriorated. It had only been 5 days and was about half sawdust. When they tell us don't store them on concrete they mean it. I'm gonna try and avoid that mistake again. I read somewhere that just putting a pallet or sheet of plywood down first will make a difference.

Pellets are our friends ......... we must protect them :)

So we've all heard over and over don't store your pellets on concrete. Now I know why. After cooking Christmas meal last Sunday I sat an almost empty bag of pellets on the ground at some point. Might have been 5 lbs of pellets left in it, maybe less. I've always been aware to not leave them on concrete thanks to several things I've seen & read on the internet but we left out the next day (Monday) and only returned late Thursday and I didn't pick them up. So last night I was searing a couple of steaks and grabbed that bag off the concrete. I was shocked what I found in the sack & how fast the pellets deteriorated. It had only been 5 days and was about half sawdust. When they tell us don't store them on concrete they mean it. I'm gonna try and avoid that mistake again. I read somewhere that just putting a pallet or sheet of plywood down first will make a difference.

Pellets are our friends ......... we must protect them :)

Does the concrete transfer moisture?

I store mine in 5 gallon buckets with the storage lids.

Does the concrete transfer moisture?

I store mine in 5 gallon buckets with the storage lids.

I think it actually draws the moisture out of the pellets and that's why they just fall apart and go back to sawdust. If you've got them in a plastic bucket with a lid on them you shouldn't have any problem. I think the issue is storing unprotected bags of pellets on concrete.

Pellets would draw moisture up through the concrete through osmosis, its the moisture that breaks down the pellet; they are held together by high compressive forces in the manufacturing process.

Storing pet food bags on concrete floor is a similar no-no; to the point that it would be a health code violation for animal shelters etc if they had bags of food stored on a concrete floor.

This (below) is the best way I've found:
As soon as I open the bag from Amazing Smoker, I put them in these screw-top jugs.
I have never had to Nuke or heat any, and some (very few--LOL) are in jugs for 8 years.
No humidity gets through the threaded caps.

Bear

These have dust in them, but my pellets go in the same jugs:
DSC01239.JPG

Reactions: timstalltaletav
As soon as I open the bag from Amazing Smoker, I put them in these screw-top jugs.
I have never had to Nuke or heat any, and some (very few--LOL) are in jugs for 8 years.

Bear

View attachment 384011

That's nifty! Probably makes loading the tray much easier. I usually end up with a good amount of dust in the catch pan after I fill the AMNPS tray.

Bear

View attachment 384011

I wonder how many of those jugs I'd need for the ton I get each time I order, lol.

Lol More then you can count.

LOL---I have most of them in a tall cabinet in my garage.
They're jammed in 3 big shelves in that cabinet, and the only way I could count them would be to take them all out of the cabinet.
Until that happens I can only estimate.

Bear

I think I only have about 40-50 of them.

Bear
I'd need 400-500 for a ton of pellets. Lol.

I store mine in large trash cans lined with contractor trash bags.
I can fit 4 separate bags in one can. Keep that can close to my pellet grill. The rest of the pallet is in my shop wrapped up tightly.

Been using these for a number of years, originally designed for charcoal but are also great to store and dispense pellets. Stackable and can hold 40 Lbs of pellets. Kingsford Kaddy
kingsford.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shootr
Last edited:
I burned a few hours searching the innerwebs all over for these, best I could find was almost the same exact size on amazon (free shipping for prime, US Plastics wanted $125 to ship 3 of them, + the cost of the items!...).

Per Budeez, the Kinsgford branded XXL one is:
Jumbo Size (up to 55 lb) w/wheels
Item # 00037
24.5” x 12.5” x 26.3”

This one on amazon is: 24.2 x 12 x 26 inches, has wheels. For pet food so I think wood pellets would work just as well. Description says it can handle 65lbs. Comments are showing people putting in two (2) 40lb bags of dog food in these so they are super sized. Which is heavier, 80lbs of pellets, or 80lbs of dog food?

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KJDEVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Question becomes how much weight does one want to handle while adding pellets to the hopper? No doubt wheels allow for more weight but at some point you'll likely be reverting to using a scoop vs trying to lift and dump. JMTC o_O

er... 80 lbs is 80 lbs regardless, but the bulk size to store dog food will be different :D

I’m no expert, but I believe condensation is the main culprit. Like dew on the grass in summer or frost in winter. Warm pellets on cool concrete or vice versa = condensation = moister = ruined pellets.

These fit standard 5 gal buckets:
upload_2019-1-2_10-39-11.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-2_10-39-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-2_10-39-3.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Shootr
The pellets I use for heating the house are stored in the garage on a wooden pallet. I used to buy five tons at a time and never had an issue. I've cut back on pellet use as I got tired of cleaning the stove and the price of propane has come down. I still have a few bags that are over two years old and they look no worse for wear.

Chris

I’m no expert, but I believe condensation is the main culprit. Like dew on the grass in summer or frost in winter. Warm pellets on cool concrete or vice versa = condensation = moister = ruined pellets.

These fit standard 5 gal buckets:
View attachment 384495

I use these lids on 5 gal buckets from
Menards and Home Depot. Works great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky