Proud, but kinda sad, papa right now!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
#1 son won't be in town for Thanksgiving due to, a girl! He told us this several weeks ago...

#2 son called and now HE won't be in town, due to a GIRL as well!

At first, I was pissed, and then my bride reminded me that I had hormones once and to just be happy I'm not a grandpa yet! I hate when she's right...

HOWEVER, #2 son asked me the following; "Dad, can you walk me through how to brine/cure a turkey and smoke it for "girlfriend's" family"?

Well, yeah! I'm feeling a bit better now! Both boys have smokers at their place in NM where they go to school/live, but to date, only #1 son has been interested in any type of curing.

So, #2 and I chatted a bit, figured out that the frig he has had a bottom drawer he could hold the bird in with the cure, and that he had everything but the stuff for the brine.

The bride and I are going to pack up the following items for him and ship them out this weekend!

2-roasting bags to cure the bird in
1/4 pound of cure #1
2 - boxes of kosher salt
2 - pounds of brown sugar
2-pounds of white sugar
A few turkey stockings for the smoke

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed about my boys not being home for Thanksgiving, but at the same time, I'm stoked about my youngest wanting to jump on some curing!

He's cooked with me since he could stand on a chair, and many of you have seen his work on here, but this will be a first for him away from home going solo. He usually sticks to ribs and flats!

:yahoo:

I know a proud papa when I see one CB...as one proud father to another, these are the posts that always make me smile the most. It's cool that your sons are following in Pa's smoking footsteps...and even cooler that #2 wants to learn about curing! Thumbs Up

I know how you feel, looking at spending a holiday gathering without having them around. Our 2 sons have missed a few holidays here and there in recent years because of inlaw obligations. When it happens, Mrs. Red and I always miss them, but also understand why they can't be with us. And we feel we got lucky with their wives...we inherited a couple of great young ladies we view as our daughters.

If #2 son thinks enough of this girl to cook for her family, that says a lot. Maybe she'll eventually end up as a member of your family?

Here's hoping you and your bride will have a happy Thanksgiving even though the boys can't be there.

Red

Last edited:
Great posts CB and Red!  I'm struggling with my daughter being "away" at college.  She's still in the city, but living on campus and trying to be on her own. She has spent no time with me since school started, she said that if she came here, it would be too difficult to go back to school.  I'm just trying to give her her space.  I appreciate y'all sharing  your feelings here!  

Mike 

It's the natural order of things my friend. And given the sons request I can say that your family is progressing nicely. B

I know a proud papa when I see one CB...as one proud father to another, these are the posts that always make me smile the most. It's cool that your sons are following in Pa's smoking footsteps...and even cooler that #2 wants to learn about curing! Thumbs Up

I know how you feel, looking at spending a holiday gathering without having them around. Our 2 sons have missed a few holidays here and there in recent years because of inlaw obligations. When it happens, Mrs. Red and I always miss them, but also understand why they can't be with us. And we feel we got lucky with their wives...we inherited a couple of great young ladies we view as our daughters.

If #2 son thinks enough of this girl to cook for her family, that says a lot. Maybe she'll eventually end up as a member of your family?

Here's hoping you and your bride will have a happy Thanksgiving even though the boys can't be there.

Red

Mike, it's tough! It's hard not to call every day! I'm CERTAIN it's even harder for you with a daughter! I can't even imagine how I would be if it were my little girl out in the world....

The great thing is, we know how we raised them, and we know that they have someone to call...

Yeah, brother, over the last few years I've shed a tear or 2, but I have to keep telling myself that they are doing a great job, and I HOPE the future daughters I get are great!

I'm selfish, so I'll say that it still sucks! :biggrin:

Great posts CB and Red!  I'm struggling with my daughter being "away" at college.  She's still in the city, but living on campus and trying to be on her own. She has spent no time with me since school started, she said that if she came here, it would be too difficult to go back to school.  I'm just trying to give her her space.  I appreciate y'all sharing  your feelings here!  

Mike 
It's the natural order of things my friend. And given the sons request I can say that your family is progressing nicely. B

That's too bad they can't make it for TG.

They sound like a couple of good boys!

Your very lucky!

Al

Hey Cranky, I can't add anything to the wise answers that

you have received from these good folks.

While you may not have the greatest Thanksgiving this year,

I believe there is still much here to be thankful for.

But, look at it this way,your Christmas may be really 

great, with extra guests as well.

Keep smilin' and give Cranky Gnome a pat on the back.

Ed

CB, sounds like you and the misses raised a couple of fine young men. Thumbs Up.

You'll miss 'em for sure, but belive me, they'll be thinking about mom and dad on turkey day.

It is the fate of children to grow and spread their wings. Parents are left with being proud and missing them. Be proud and make sure they know they always have a home!

May your Thanksgiving be great.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky