Propane grill burner is way to hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archernut

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Central Illinois
This has been a frustrating week. The single burner I installed for my heat source in my fridge cooker/smoker gets to hot. Even at the lowest setting it still brings the temps over 300 degrees in a matter of minutes. This is impossible to smoke/cook deer salami in.

It is the smallest burner I could find at any store. So??????????   I'm kind of lost on where to find a smaller burner that can produce less heat. I have looked at the local propane smokers on display and like their setups. BUT........... Where in the world do I find a small set up?

The fridg is small. app 25" wide by 48" inside.

Or???????????   Should I just convert to 110 electric?

Any advice and leads to where I can purchase is greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellow smokers  
icon_smile.gif

archernut

Last edited:
You may be able to use a needle valve between the regulator and the burner.

That will give you alot more controll over your heat.

Is it a high pressure or a low pressure burner as that will make a big difference. Low pressure will burn lower temps and high pressure will burn at higher temps. Also as was mentioned above you can install a needle valve. I installed one in my smoker and it makes a big difference. 

well, I am unsure on low or high? I'm guessing it is probably high.

Now on the needle valve? I guess that would solve some of the problem but wouldn't that be harder to regulate?

Basically what the needle valve will do is regulate the the flow of gas to the burner. It goes in-line in the hose between the burner and the regulator. You will turn your  burner all the way down then you will be able to close and open the needle valve to tweak the flame as you need more or less heat. 

I see the point of the needle valve. I agree with the install and will definately put it in. I will have to search for a low pressure burner. It is hard to find parts locally due to being winter.

I wish it wasn't so darn cold out. I would take a few pics and post them.

I built a box with a grate and put a layer of lava rock right over the burner. I'm wondering how much heat those rocks hold? I need to really lower the temps.

Thanks for the suggestions.  
icon_smile.gif

I will have check and see.

It looks like I will be busy tomorrow.
icon_smile.gif

Ive got 30lbs of salami curing right now. Hopefully I can cook Thursday morning.

Thanks again

archernut

I've looked all over town this morning for a needle valve with no luck.

Are there any websites where I can purchase one?

Thanks

Lots of them just google it. I was able to find needle valves at just about every hardware store in town once I knew what I was looking for. No one at the store seemed to know what I was talking about but I find them in the pipe pipe fittings/propane fittings area.

Geesh, I feel goofy now. I went right by that isle and to the back where the grill accessories were. Duh. lol   I know exactly where to go now.

Thanks bunches.

icon_cool.gif

I would agree with theses guys and say if you can't get enough adjustment with the valve on the line and the tank then you willhave to go to something like the needle valve.

Everything is installed. The needle valve made a huge difference, however even with one side of the burner off it still peaked at 210 degrees. I can cook salami with those temps, but I want to lower it to around 130 degrees to smoke with.

The top chimney/vent is only 1.5 inches. I'm thinking I need to increase it to around 4 or 5 inches with a damper. Also, I have searched online for the little round burners you see in the smokers at the farm and home stores. They look like it could do what I am wanting.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I took pics, and as soon as I figure out how to post them, I will share with ya'all.

archernut

That's on the agenda for tomorrow morning. I'm leaning towards a 5" vent with a damper. I'm sure that will drastically decrease the temps. The needle valve took care of the burner. It barely has a flame now. After 30 minutes the temp was 218.

Thanks for the assistance.

archernut

This is the box and rack for the h2o/drip pans. The upper rack is not installed yet. I am primarily hanging salami for now.

The dates on the bottom are wrong. Darn camera reset itself when the battery went dead. I took them 12-8-10.

Picture #2 shows the inline needle valve I installed. I recommend this to everybody.

The aluminum on the upper back is from the freezer and covers the big hole it left. It looks like crap, but it works fine.

bd42abe7_IMAG0006.jpg
b770913a_IMAG0005.jpg
49ba3356_IMAG0008.jpg

Looks like things are coming along just fine now. Just make sure those metal brackets and cross members at the bottom aren't galvanized as that would cause you some real troubles. Don't want anyone to get sick.

be careful problem I had is loosing the small flame in high winds like we are having today.  Wait was that a my smoker or a small car sliding across the front yard??

The grill burner you are using looks like a 40,000 btu burner.  Probably too much for your smoker.

Look at one like this:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_15490_15490   Much more adjustable than a grill burner.

Also, why not look at a cheapie electric burner for low temps.  This way you would not have to worry about a flame going out and the potential for a gas explosion?

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky