Propane burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
i have two 30 quqrt King Kooker Turkey Fryer sets.

I disabled the timer on one.

Wan't to use it outdoors with my pressure canner.

I was thinking of using a steel or cast iron plate between the bottom of the canner and the burner flame.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks

I assume you just don’t want the flame direct to the canner? At any rate there should be no issue with the steel plate between. We do all of our heavy fall canning outside on turkey fryers. Works nice.

The plate may be a good idea. I have a 2 burner propane camp stove I can on, and even on low, it runs a shade on the hot side for the pressure canner.

All of my canning is outside.
I use a first generation Camp Chef 2 burner stove. Water bath goes directly on the grate.
I have my mother's large pressure canner but haven't tried it yet. A steel plate to protect the aluminum canner from the flame sounds an idea to check out.

All of my canning is outside.
I use a first generation Camp Chef 2 burner stove. Water bath goes directly on the grate.
I have my mother's large pressure canner but haven't tried it yet. A steel plate to protect the aluminum canner from the flame sounds an idea to check out.
Mine is similar to the Camp Chef. It's perfect for water bath, but with the pressure canner, even on low, the clacker acts like it's going to launch into orbit off the canner. I haven't tried a plate, yet. I usually just pressure can on the kitchen stove. Adding a needle valve in the propane line may be another option. I wouldn't so much worry about the aluminum as these canners are meant to use on gas, as well as electric stoves.

Last edited:
Mine is similar to the Camp Chef. It's perfect for water bath, but with the pressure canner, even on low, the clacker acts like it's going to launch into orbit off the canner. I haven't tried a plate, yet. I usually just pressure can on the kitchen stove. Adding a needle valve in the propane line may be another option. I wouldn't so much worry about the aluminum as these canners are meant to use on gas, as well as electric stoves.
I was thinking about plugging the outer ring of holes in the burner with nails along with a needle valve to get more control for smaller pots.
On windy days I have watch the flame. Tough to dial down a 30k+ BTU burner.

Here is what I have

propane stove.jpg

If it's very windy, it will blow out on low.

I was thinking about plugging the outer ring of holes in the burner with nails along with a needle valve to get more control for smaller pots.
On windy days I have watch the flame. Tough to dial down a 30k+ BTU burner.
Could switch to a low pressure regulator and then plug halve the holes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky