Problems grinding fat today...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, looks like I'm gonna have to throw in the towel on this thing.

• Sharpened the blade and plate...same thing...fat pushes down to the plate, packs up, and it stops the auger. I hit reverse, auger turns, go back to forward, auger turns again, but I have to remove it, clean the packed fat out, start over...same thing.
  • CHANGED to a brand NEW plate/blade...ditto
  • Cut the fat into 1" cubes...ditto
  • Cut the fat into 1/2" cubes...ditto
  • Froze it more...ditto
  • Froze it less...ditto

Nothing that I can SEE or FEEL (end of auger or the hole it goes into) is stripped (edges are all clean and well-defined)...I'm stumped and, quite frankly, TIRED of fooling with it!

So...is the LEM 1158 Mighty Bite #8 Grinder any good? I grind no more than 5lbs at a time (usually 1 - 2lbs) of pork (lean...AND FAT!), beef, or chicken/turkey, so no game and I now have a stuffer so I won't be using it to stuff.

For any of you who are familiar with this grinder, would you please give me some feedback on this?

THANKS!

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to throw in the towel on this thing.

• Sharpened the blade and plate...same thing...fat pushes down to the plate, packs up, and it stops the auger. I hit reverse, auger turns, go back to forward, auger turns again, but I have to remove it, clean the packed fat out, start over...same thing.
  • CHANGED to a brand NEW plate/blade...ditto
  • Cut the fat into 1" cubes...ditto
  • Cut the fat into 1/2" cubes...ditto
  • Froze it more...ditto
  • Froze it less...ditto

Nothing that I can SEE or FEEL (end of auger or the hole it goes into) is stripped (edges are all clean and well-defined)...I'm stumped and, quite frankly, TIRED of fooling with it!

So...is the LEM 1158 Mighty Bite #8 Grinder any good? I grind no more than 5lbs at a time (usually 1 - 2lbs) of pork (lean...AND FAT!), beef, or chicken/turkey, so no game and I now have a stuffer so I won't be using it to stuff.

For any of you who are familiar with this grinder, would you please give me some feedback on this?

THANKS!
I think Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle has that grinder. I have a Weston 8# with similar specs, and it does a good job.

Its possible the bushing at the back of the unit where the back of the auger rests against has worn and is allowing the fat to get between the blade and the plate and causing the jam. The fat will take more force to run through the grinder Causing the seperation between the blade and the plate and thats why your not seing it with the meat

My 2 cents

Reactions: DougE and SherryT
Its possible the bushing at the back of the unit where the back of the auger rests against has worn and is allowing the fat to get between the blade and the plate and causing the jam. The fat will take more force to run through the grinder Causing the seperation between the blade and the plate and thats why your not seing it with the meat

My 2 cents
There should be a bushing back of the housing where the back of the auger goes.
See if it has worn into the bushing.

Capturebushing.PNG

20221218_172008.jpg

Yes, just bought this grinder this year for doing small batches...think it was on sale for $120. Works really good. Is a bit noisy compared to my big grinder...but it's a 1 1/2 hp grinder. I'm sure it would work well for you for not alot of money.

Look at me...such an enabler!

Ryan

Reactions: SherryT and DougE
There should be a bushing back of the housing where the back of the auger goes.
See if it has worn into the bushing.

View attachment 651559
Maybe so that the bushing is worn, but that is adjustable at the ring on the front that holds the plate in. If it’s snug, the back side is tight on the bushing, has to be. If the bushing is so worn that tightening the ring won’t solve the issue then a new bushing is needed.

Reactions: boykjo
View attachment 651558

Yes, just bought this grinder this year for doing small batches...think it was on sale for $120. Works really good. Is a bit noisy compared to my big grinder...but it's a 1 1/2 hp grinder. I'm sure it would work well for you for not alot of money.

Look at me...such an enabler!

Ryan

Yup...I just placed the order and it'll be here Thursday.

Now, what will I make from my inaugural grind...decisions, decisions! :emoji_thinking:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yup...I just placed the order and it'll be here Thursday.

Now, what will I make from my inaugural grind...decisions, decisions! :emoji_thinking:
With the advice from chopsaw chopsaw I recently made some kabonsy sticks , the recipe from Marianski...they were delicious and my wife and I loved them!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
With the advice from chopsaw chopsaw I recently made some kabonsy sticks , the recipe from Marianski...they were delicious and my wife and I loved them!

Ryan

I read Marianski's recipe/instructions and he provides an option to further cure/dry them...is that how you made them?

I read Marianski's recipe/instructions and he provides an option to further cure/dry them...is that how you made them?
Not to interrupt, but once you make the sticks, brown bag them or wrap them in unwaxed butcher paper and into the fridge for a week or two for drying. They will dry perfectly and you pull them and vac seal or eat when you like. Maybe 7 days or 10 days or more.

Reactions: kuroki and SherryT
Not to interrupt, but once you make the sticks, brown bag them or wrap them in unwaxed butcher paper and into the fridge for a week or two for drying. They will dry perfectly and you pull them and vac seal or eat when you like. Maybe 7 days or 10 days or more.

THANKS!

Yes , if the conditions are right I'll hang them at 60 degrees for up to 7 days before going in the fridge .
These are out of the smoker ,
1671451877687.jpeg
After hanging at 60 degrees .
1671451903463.jpeg
In my opinion hanging at room temp allows any fat to equalize , and whatever ends up on the surface can be wiped off .

Reactions: tallbm
Ya, what Rich said lol! Mine didn't quite dry that long...lack of patience!

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
UPDATE

Ordered the LEM Mighty Bite #8, it arrived Thursday, but I didn't open it up until today...ground up 5lbs of pork fat without a hitch AND faster than the STX.

I'm a happy girl again. 💃

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'm gonna get out of my own way and buy good equip/tools from the get go.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'm gonna get out of my own way and buy good equip/tools from the get go.
Human nature to try and get by on the cheap. Sometimes it works out fine, but other times it comes back and bites you on the hind end.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
UPDATE

Ordered the LEM Mighty Bite #8, it arrived Thursday, but I didn't open it up until today...ground up 5lbs of pork fat without a hitch AND faster than the STX.

I'm a happy girl again. 💃

Buy once and cry once for some specific tools is a good program. Just have to decide which tools to spend the $$$ on and which ones you can compromise on.

Reactions: SherryT
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky