Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnwash

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I know this is not a smoking question but dont shoot me. My smoker is not available (long story) and my oven is broken(longer story) i have a prime rib and i wanna cook it really soon. Can i do it in a crock pot and how?

Crock Pot...
jaw-dropping.gif
  That is like Steaming Wagyu Filet Mignon! NO WAY!  Freeze it until something gets fixed. Or if you don't have a grill, go buy one even a cheap POS. You build a fire on one side and put the meat on the other. This indirect cooking makes great P Rib. I would offer to share with a friend or neighbor, if they will cook it, before I would make Pot Roast out of Rib. That is by far the best cut on the animal. Please find another way to get it done...JJ
th_crybaby2.gif

Prime rib in a crock pot.  Yes, you can do it.  Google "Prime rib in a crock pot."  Basically it is one expensive pot roast.

Okay, I deleted this, but I just can't let it go.

You can build a smoker in about 15 minutes out of cinderblocks.  Make a fire ring out of CBs three high, leaving an opening at the bottom for air flow and for adding charcoal if needed.  Put some charcoal and wood in the bottom and dump a half chimney of hot charcoal on top.  Put a grate across the top of the stack, then add another layer of CBs.  Cover it with a piece of metal or leave it open to the air.   

Last edited:
Yeah i know it seems like a bad idea but i need to make it soon what if i put it on high without any water would that work

Oh yeah you can do the rock salt method in a disposable foil pan also. follow same method wrap the whole thing up in heavy duty foil. place in coals in pit top with coals. Monitor temps pull when done!

I can add nothing to what has already been posted. My first thought was to do as suggested by Noboundaries. Cheap, easy to assemble, can be used for your future pig roast and will attract attention to your smoking skills, making you the talk of the hood. I've seen cement board at Home Depot I've thought would make a good floor for the coals so not directly on the dirt/grass...Willie

Please , Johnwalsh.
77.gif
 , find a eay to smoke it to 140*F for Rare , 165*F for Med. 
cool.gif

As,JJ  , said , they are good in a "Crockpot', but the decadent taste is lost in steam
icon_eek.gif

Do your self and guest a favor and Smoke it at any method...(borrow a Smoker).

Have fun and  . . .

We cook our prime in a big rooster at a resturant I help cook at our directions are 550 in oven 23 min in rooster at 300 for 2hrs.. Takes it to about 115 degrees if you can cook it at 300 degrees with no water or anything it will give you best result and the prime we serve is very excellent

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky