Prime Rib Smoking Times - helpful hint

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Good morning and Merry Christmas. I thought I would post my old prime rib smoke-times as a helpful hint for those that might need it today.

I normally cut my prime rib to single bone size and they have ranged in weight from about 2.25 pounds to a whopping 3.8 lbs. This provides a 2.5 to 4-inch thick rib roast (+/-). After smoking, tenting, I cut the rib roast in two creating two, 1.25 to 2-inch thick prime rib steaks - always serving them smoked side down, pink side up.

My MES 40 is/was/always pre-heated to 225F

All rib roasts were pulled at 135F IT and tented

Cook times were in the range of 47 to 58 minutes/lbs

Apple and hickory are my faves for smoke flavor for prime rib and pretty much all beef steaks.

Good morning and Merry Christmas. I thought I would post my old prime rib smoke-times as a helpful hint for those that might need it today.

I normally cut my prime rib to single bone size and they have ranged in weight from about 2.25 pounds to a whopping 3.8 lbs. This provides a 2.5 to 4-inch thick rib roast (+/-). After smoking, tenting, I cut the rib roast in two creating two, 1.25 to 2-inch thick prime rib steaks - always serving them smoked side down, pink side up.

My MES 40 is/was/always pre-heated to 225F

All rib roasts were pulled at 135F IT and tented

Cook times were in the range of 47 to 58 minutes/lbs

Apple and hickory are my faves for smoke flavor for prime rib and pretty much all beef steaks.

ok i have maybe a funny question here for you .. but just say u kept the roast as a whole of meat .... would you sear the ends ... then sear the sides (hot barbeque , then smoke after this ? just all this to help keep extra flavour inside ?

thank you

Just smoking it at 225F has done a great job of browning the outside. I have never seared my smoked prime rib.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky