Prime rib sit?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

panfisher

Original poster
May 23, 2008
Iowa
Smoking a prime rib for Christmas Eve and wondering what to do with it while at church. if I bring it up to 130, foil it and wrap it in a towel and cooler it for a couple hours, is that ok? After church I'll throw it in a 500 degree oven and crust it up. Is this possible?

I usually do my prime rib in single rib slabs - they normally only take about 2 1/4 hours.  As a matter of fact, my prime rib is seasoned and resting in the fridge at this writing :-)

A whole prime rib (3 or 4 bone) takes roughly 4 to 6 hours (been a long time - please verify) at normal smoking times of 225-250F.  

Search for prime rib up above - top right.  There are a ton of threads about this.

It's about 6 lbs. I smoke them at 225, bring it up to 135 pull, set on stove tented in foil until oven heats to 500. Put in oven for about 7 minutes, pull it out and slice and serve. I've never had to leave one "sit" for any amount of time. I've got a pretty good idea when it'll be finished, but it'll probably be a couple of hours until I'm able to get back from church to serve it. Just curious as to what others have done in situation. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky