Prime Rib pricing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ak1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone, 

With all this discussion lately about prime rib, I'm wondering what kind of price people are paying in various parts of Canada & the US.

Lately it's been on sale locally for $3.99 lb in my area, but I opened up the paper & saw this;

c5c57c4c_S3000004.jpg

Dang I need to shop up there its on sale for 5.99 here right now

AK1,

You gotta be kidding me!

Do you have a pickup truck & a couple freezers???---$1.99 ????----WOW!

They had Choice Standing Rib Roasts on sale here again for $5.99.

That equals the lowest I had seen it here for years.

I bought 23 pounds.

Then the following week they dropped it to $4.99.

I feel like I lost $23 in a week in the Commodities Market !!!

Bear

Albertsons just ran a special here in the San Diego area for $3.77 with a coupon so I bought a couple

you cant get round steak for that price around here

even select rib is usually 4.99 at the cheepest.

even if the grade is select that is a bargain

I'd be very suspicious that this is in fact "Prime" grade rib roast. The advertisment does not state that this is a CBGA or USDA prime graded only that it is "Prime Rib Roast".

Ak1, I'll Make you a deal, I'll send you some rub for a piece of that Prime rib after you have smoked it and I'll let you know what I thought of the meat for that price. 

Last edited:
I'd be very suspicious that this is in fact "Prime" grade rib roast. The advertisment does not state that this is a CBGA or USDA prime graded only that it is "Prime Rib Roast".

Since he's in Canada it would surprise me to see it marked USDA 
roflmao.gif

ROTF.gif

roflmao.gif

With all due resepct, unless it was imported back from the US. It should at least be marked as CBGA graded though. Grading is probably voluntary like it is in the US allowing vendors to claim just about anything as Prime. I am saying that the price does not match the claimed grade.
 Since he's in Canada it would surprise me to see it marked USDA 
roflmao.gif

ROTF.gif

roflmao.gif

With the value of the dollar they prolly imported the meat from here
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

This will not be the first nor the last time to tell you, ISO, that prime in ribs has nothing to do with grade. It is the bone count, back to front that determines prime from standing. Think primary numbers.

There is plenty of US beef sold in Canada, usually select and never prime.

It doesn't have to be prime grade to be called prime rib. 

Prime Rib is another name for a standing rib roast.

The "Standing rib roasts" that we (John Doe & Joe Jones) can buy at the store are pretty much never actually "Prime Rib".

It's pretty much accepted fact, so much that we all got into the habit of calling any standing rib roast "Prime Rib".

Even some stores are going as far as calling it "Prime Rib", when it really isn't.

Most of what we all buy are either "Choice" or "Select".

The ones I get are "Choice", but if you make them the way AK1, Pineywoods, Squirrel, myself, and a whole bunch of other guys on this forum make them, they are much better than any real actual "Prime Rib" ever made in any restaurant. 

So I guess if ours are better tasting than the real "Prime Rib", we should certainly be allowed to call them that (right or wrong).

duel.gif

Bear

Those T-Bone Steaks at 2.99 would be very tempting too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky