1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Prime rib cook time

Discussion in 'Kamado Cookers' started by old golfer guy, Nov 19, 2018.

1. AP514

AP514 Fire Starter

Bear--The sad thing is he was using an electric knife when hacking at the PR..

I am happy with the way it turned out. Everyone loved the PR..
    If it was too Pink/raw when it was cut into I was going to use the old stand by trick and drop the PR into the hot oil the in laws used for deep frying the TURKEY...But had no need.

Deep fry'n PR is actually awesome also..but no smoke flavor...so whats the point right...:)

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

He did that with an electric knife??
    Looks like we found somebody even worse with a knife than I am any more.
    Better take it away from him, before he hurts himself!!

Bear

3. Bearcarver

Try 220° some day, but only if all your guests like Pink from Bark to bark.
    Using 275° or higher is better if you have a couple people who don't like "Pink". You can give them the gray end slices.

Mrs Bear loves Pink, like I do, but she likes it with less smoke, so sometimes I give her the middle slice & then I trim the outer ring off of her slice for me. So I get her Bark & smoky meat, and she gets her "Less Smoke" interior. Works for me.

Bear

4. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Ap , great lookin PR .

Ouch , I was thinking maybe Ray Charles stopped by .

5. AP514

AP514 Fire Starter

Yup I did 1 cut off the end for the wife. She likes hers a bit more done . I took a pic of it but some how ended up with a Floor shot(delay I guess).
    He insisted on doing the rest of the cutting. I was busy saying hi to everyone during the cutting.
    Next time I will have him "STEP AWAY FROM THE KNIFE".....

I did a fast wipe down of the Smoker(Denatured alcohol & paper towels)...ready for next time
    Clean up 1.jpg Cean up.jpg

6. Bearcarver

I guess if you clean it like that every time you can keep it that way.
    However you might want to leave the walls & ceiling alone, and just wash the smoking racks, and cover your water pan & floor with foil. And I clean my Window before every use.

I think maybe the guy with the knife ran into some bones, which caused his problems.
    That's one of the reasons I remove the bones when I buy the Roast.
    The other reason is I save the bone cut-offs for a Nice Rib Smoke at a later date, once I have 4 or 5 sets of 2 or 3 bones.

Bear

7. AP514

AP514 Fire Starter

Bones...that could have been his problem..with the cut.

As far as the Cleaning I do it every time it is fast and easy to do with the Denatured Alcohol & paper towels.(15 min tops)
    I only wipe the ceiling every so often. I figure if I want to have a MAPLE smoke I do not want the Hickory from last times smoke pulling off the walls....

8. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Mine's so seasoned I don't need to add chips .