Prime rib cook time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
I want to cook a slow cook a prime rib for Thanksgiving day. Plan on a temp of about 225. roast will be about 6 to 8 lbs. Any idea of the time per lb?
Thanks

With Prime Rib, you don't go by weight, you go by Thickness, regardless of Length & width.
Your 6 or 8 pound Prime Rib should be about the same thickness as all of the 5 & 6 pounders I have Smoked.
Here's one of my newest ones with all the info about the Smoke, including Time & Temp:
Smoked Prime Rib (Easter 2018)

Bear

Thanks Bear. It looks like about 1hr per lb. at 225, give or take a little. Now I can let DW know the approximate time.

Thanks Bear. It looks like about 1hr per lb. at 225, give or take a little. Now I can let DW know the approximate time.

Not really.
If a 6 pounder takes 6 hours, that would be an hour a pound, but like I said you have to go by thickness, because a 15 pounder would take about the same length of time as the 6 pounder, if they are both the same thickness.
So that 15 pounder might also take 6 or 6 1/2 hours.
Where if you're saying an hour per pound, that 15 pounder would take 15 hours---->> NO.

So if a 6 pounder takes 6 hours, so does a 7, 8, 9, 10pounder, etc, etc.

Bear

Best bet is a probe thermometer and cook to about 5-10 degrees below the done-ness you want. then wrap and let rest coast until where you like. or what i usually do is cook to rare and rest. slice and sear to individual taste. i Usually inset the probe laterally to the meat until i put in the center ( not touching bone).

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I am going the same route..I have a 15Lb'r -6 inch thick. I am looking at 7 ish hours to shoot for @ 230 temp
The Bone is still in on this one so I hope it does not add to the time.
going for a Lite smoke..any suggestions on the wood type? (A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker)

I am going the same route..I have a 15Lb'r -6 inch thick. I am looking at 7 ish hours to shoot for @ 230 temp
The Bone is still in on this one so I hope it does not add to the time.
going for a Lite smoke..any suggestions on the wood type? (A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker)

Keep that Smoker Temp Between 220° and 240°, and they'll always look like these look:
Prime Rib Calendar (14 Smoked Prime Ribs)

As for Wood type, 90% of mine are Hickory, & a couple were Cherry.
I'm kinda hooked on Hickory, but the Cherry was Fine.
It's hard to mess up a Prime Rib---It's one of the easiest Smokes, with the Biggest reward!!

Bear

thanks for the fast reply..you think the time will be ok with that thickness ?

Have Cherry so will go with that I guess...

Choices are..maple, cherry ,pecan, apple, pitmaster choice

thanks for the fast reply..you think the time will be ok with that thickness ?

Have Cherry so will go with that I guess...

Choices are..maple, cherry ,pecan, apple, pitmaster choice

I'm sure all those flavors would be Great !!

As for the Time, My 5 & 6 pounders all take between 4 & 5 hours, so I think 7 hours might be a little long.

A big one like that I would figure an extra half hour to 45 minutes for the initial entry of all that Cold meat.

Then another Half Hour for it being a little bit thicker.

So that would be about 4 1/2 hours + 1 1/4 hours = 5 3/4 hours Minus 15 minutes because I take mine to 142°, and you'll probably pull yours at a lower Temp.
So I would guess yours would be about 5 1/2 hours. However the Thermo will tell you when it's done.

However it's better to figure 7 hours & actually take 5 1/2, than figure 5 1/2 & be an hour or more late, because you can always hold it in a cooler with towels.

Or if you have a smoker like mine you can do what I do. When it gets to the Temp I want too early, I just cut the heat back to 140°, open the door until it gets down to that Temp & hold it there until I want it.

Hope that helps.

Bear

Well, Up at the crack of dawn to start the Prime Rib....Took the PR out of fridge about 1 hour to let it warn up.
(waste of time) fired up the MB to 250..I put ThermoPro probes into meat and showed 41 (39 on MB Probe)..then did the catch me temp game with the MB for about 1/2 hour to get around 230.
Put PR in at 5:30 along with AMNPS. A layer of Maple topped off with Cherry just short of 3/4 of 1 row to do a lite smoke.
MB is set at 215 which Cycles from 218 to 245 according to my TP80.
Here are a few Pic's so far...Look at that hunk of PRIME...YUM....

Attachments

• Prime Rib 1.jpg
    Prime Rib 1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Prime Rib 2.jpg
    Prime Rib 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Prime Rib 3.jpg
    Prime Rib 3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Prime Rib- TBS.jpg
    Prime Rib- TBS.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 34
Oh Yeah!!
Just keep that Temp going like that until you get to the IT of your choice & you're in for an Awesome Treat!!!

Be Back!!

Bear

IT Temp was LOW..at 8AM still only IT of 61..now at 11:00 IT is only 112..at 11:00 I Had to bump up the TEMP to 220..took the upper temps to 255 lows to 225....running out of time...(stay calm do not panic)

As usual, I agree with Bear

In the future you might want to consider smoking your prime rib as individual bones. Each bone serves 2. You cut them open so the smoked side is on the bottom and the beautiful prime rib side is up. That way everyone gets to enjoy the smoke. I smoke it as a 2-bone roast when we have some company that poo-poo's smoked meat. They usually sing a different song after they try GOOD smoked prime rib.

Smoke time for a single bone at 225F is usually 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for medium rare

IT Temp was LOW..at 8AM still only IT of 61..now at 11:00 IT is only 112..at 11:00 I Had to bump up the TEMP to 220..took the upper temps to 255 lows to 225....running out of time...(stay calm do not panic)

That's still good---Average over the cycle is 240°. Still gonna look like mine do, as long as you don't go higher.

Be back to see.

Bear

I just checked my last one:
At 1:30PM mine was 112°.
2 hours later mine was at 138°.

Yours was 112° at 11 AM.
Was yours at 138° at 1 PM?

Bear

Yours was 112° at 11 AM.
Was yours at 138° at 1 PM?
Nope only at 133 at 12:30 even with temp bump. I had to pull it to race 25 minutes to inlaws for 1PM eat..
(thank you Mr Policeman for looking the other way as I speed by)
Put PR on a sheet and in a box then covered with a HVY Blanket for trip.
I got there and Inlaw instantly started cutting(kind of a hack job-see it in pic)
PR was Juicy and AWESOME..
the MAPLE-CHERRY combo was great(lite smoke 2-1/2 hr)
some how missed the pic of PR on plate (got a good Floor shot-LOL)
So that 15lbs -6+ inch thick took ....7hrs
(might have taken that much time due to meat being so cold at start-what do you think ? )

Prime rib 5.jpg
Prime Rib 4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw and phatbac
Looks Great AP !!
I was about right saying 138° at 1 PM, if you said it was 133° at 12:30.

You're probably right about the 15 pounds of Cold meat affecting the time, because the first part of your Smoke took the longest, since it took 5 1/2 hours to get to 112°, and only 1 1/2 hours to get from 112° to 133°.

That 6" might have been a lot thicker than most of mine too. I never really measure mine, because they all usually look about the same, by eye.

Just noticed too---You tied yours up, so it's nice & round. That makes them take longer. Mine flatten out & that makes the heat get to the center quicker.

How did everyone like it??

BTW: I cheat & use an electric knife---Makes it so easy!!

Bear

thats a good looking roast! bear is right ties make it take long but its better for even done-ness. the rounder it is the more even the heat gets through the meat (which is why a lot of folks recommend tying the roast) i prefer round to get the wall to wall pink like you achieved! don't change a thing it looks fantastic!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

thats a good looking roast! bear is right ties make it take long but its better for even done-ness. the rounder it is the more even the heat gets through the meat (which is why a lot of folks recommend tying the roast) i prefer round to get the wall to wall pink like you achieved! don't change a thing it looks fantastic!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

That's true for higher Temp cooking, but if you use Smoker Temps between 220° & 240° it doesn't matter what shape it is. It will still be Pink from Bark to Bark, and done evenly throughout.
It certainly doesn't hurt to tie it up like Old Golfer Guy did though. It could only take slightly longer.
Proof:

Bear

That's true for higher Temp cooking, but if you use Smoker Temps between 220° & 240° it doesn't matter what shape it is. It will still be Pink from Bark to Bark, and done evenly throughout.
It certainly doesn't hurt to tie it up like Old Golfer Guy did though. It could only take slightly longer.
Proof:

Bear
i run 275-280 so thats an interesting point. RF tends to push the air faster and hotter. i know your steak comes out mighty fine so i guess its a matter of temps and equipment.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky