Prime Rib Chili Stuffed Baked Taters (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So last Friday I got the two whole 103 sub primal beef rib sections from Certified Piedmontese. Not wanting to sit on my laurels very long, I decided to make a run at dissecting one of these babies on Saturday. We will start with the roast and progress to the chili.

This thing is pushing 30# of beefy bliss (as noted in a previous thread)
006.jpg

Here it is all cut up...as best I could never having done this before. In the front is a pile of "scraps" from trimming the tomahawk steaks
010.jpg

Next day I was gonna make a nice pot of beef soup with the scraps for a day of football. Tracy said nope, she wanted chili. I was fine with that but we'd just done this chili very recently and I didn't think she'd want it twice in such a short period of time. Here is the chili coming along nicely
001.jpg

This is one of several bowls I ate throughout the afternoon and evening
002.jpg

Yesterday I was looking through some leftovers we'd complied recently to use some of them for dinner. Tracy once again steps in. She wants chili stuffed taters for dinner. I'm fine with that too. Chili heating back up last night
005.jpg

Taters done, split open, "meat" chopped up, and a hefty dose of butter. Sorry but IMHO a baked tater always needs lots of butter, no matter how you're serving it
006.jpg

Load it up with chili
007.jpg

Add some grated smoked extra sharp cheddar
008.jpg

Green onions
009.jpg

Finish with some sour cream. Sorry that got a bit messy in the back. I was using one of those squirt tubes and as I pulled the tube forward to apply it to the front, the lid drug through the sour cream in the back and made a mess. It didn't hamper the flavor though
010.jpg

At the end of the day, making chili was a great use of the "scrap" prime rib and using the leftover chili for these taters was pretty much off the charts. Kinda weird that I've struggled with chili for years trying to find the perfect balance of chili richness, flavor, and a bit of spice tingle. A couple weeks ago I threw everything out the window and started completely from scratch....and finally nailed it!! This chili is outstanding. Tracy says the best ever but I say second best. Problem is that my first best was done before I started writing things down and it's forever lost :emoji_disappointed: That's ok as this is outstanding and those taters sure made a gratifying and tasty meal. Looking forward to doing these again...and it's nice we added one more idea for stuffed taters. We do a lot of them and it's fun to have the variety.

See y'all on the next one,
Robert

Looks good from here, another fine meal Robert! Only problem I see is he ate without us!

Ryan

Great post glad to see you listen to the one whom must be obeyed.

Thank you. Around here though she's known as "the one who controls the purse strings". I guess at the end of the day it pretty much amounts to the same thing though :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Looks good from here, another fine meal Robert! Only problem I see is he ate without us!

Appreciate it Ryan. Was quick, easy, and really good!! Out of all the different stuffed taters we've eaten, this is about my favorite.

Robert

Good use of the scraps Robert! That chili looks really hearty and inviting. Even more satisfying with a potato, I’m stuffed looking at it.

Did you cook up one of those tomahawks up yet!?

Did you cook up one of those tomahawks up yet!?

Not yet. Was a pretty busy weekend working on a project for Tracy remodeling her master closet. Probably gonna do one this weekend...or the prime rib...or the short ribs....or maybe all of it :emoji_astonished: Those steaks are huge!! I just grabbed two of them to sell to a friend that REALLY wanted a couple and total weight on those two steaks was 8 pounds 5 ounces. Tracy has an "Activity" (read: crafting class) this Saturday so I probably won't cook one then. It'd be way more than a normal person could eat.

Who ever said I was normal?
Robert

Great looking taters. Im with you 100% on the butter. I like lots of butter on my potatoes even if they are getting loaded with other stuff. Now I'm hungry for a loaded potato! Lol

Now that's a great chili...prime rib yummm!

And to top a baked potato with it and all the fixins, hawg heaven. :emoji_thumbsup:

BIG LIKE!!

I wanted to do prime rib in a chili and Sue said no way it's too darn good to put it into anything, it needs top stand on it's own.

John

Robert, Now that's the way to make Chili!!! Using ground beef is just a fancy hot-dog sauce. Well Done...

Point for sure
Chris

Chili looks great Robert! Love sour cream on mine too. Man those tomahawks are gonna be money. Make sure to post that cook up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky