Prime Rib A la Bear w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Been wanting to do one of these for awhile but could never find the right cut of meat at a decent price and could never find the thick worchestershire sauce that my good friend Bearcarver Bearcarver uses. Well the stars happened the aligned the other day at the store. Bone in rib roasts for $4.99 lb and first time in my life I have seen the "bold steak sauce". I have smoked these before but wanted to do it the right way. Perfect timing.

Started out with a 4.4 lb rib roast. Scored the fat cap fairly deep and coated with "bold steak sauce" CBP, Pink Sea Salt, and Garlic Powder.
PR1.jpg

Washed some potatoes, coated with EVOO, SPG. Foiled wrapped in oven 400 for 1 hour.
PR2.jpg

Smoke rolling at 225. Used lumberjack char-hickory pellets.
PR3.jpg

Pulled the roast at 115 and fired up the grill to about 600.
PR4.jpg

Once the fat started dripping a little I got a real nice sear!
PR5.jpg

She thinks I am dumb and I am going to drop something.
PR6.jpg

Pulled the roast and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

Carved the bones out and sliced her up. Sliced shots. Notice all the juices just pouring out.
PR7.jpg

PR8.jpg

And a plated shot. Baked potato, some au jus, and garlic toast.
PR9.jpg

Didn't get a picture making the au jus but used the drippings off of the roast that were in the pan under it in the smoker. This thing was tender, juicy, and delicious. This also was kind of a trail run for Christmas. Planning another large crowd for Christmas dinner so wanted to make sure everything would go smoothly and I had a plan in order. Thanks for looking!

John

Not sure I've ever seen a rib roast plated in mouth sized bites, but it sure does look good John. Rare just the way we like it in our little world.

Point for sure.
Chirs

Your pups eyes look strange. Kind of pointing in opposite directions. Maybe it's just the PBRs I've been drinking.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Way to go John, excellent piece of work! About how long did it take going 225º, I'm doing a 7 pounder this Saturday on my Pro 100. By some miracle my wife came home from her cousins house the other day with a bottle of "bold" Worcestershire sauce that I bought and left there when we were moving here months back, I have everything I'll need already in the pantry. BTW, good shopping effort on the ribeye roast, that's the price that always sparks my interest. RAY

Looks Beautiful, John!!
Perfect Pink & Juicy!!
Nice Job---Now you're ready for that Christmas Dinner Job!!
Like.
BTW: We finally found Prime Rib "Choice" at $4.76 here, but you're only allowed 1.
So checking my Freezer Stock, I figure we only need 2 more to last us until Next Christmas.
So since I always get them at about 5 pounds, we'll just get the limit of 1 PR at about 10 pounds.
Then I'll cut it in half before I freeze it.

Bear

Looks fantastic! I sure wish I could find some around here for that price. Somehow I always miss the good pricing on the rib roasts! I have used Bears method on the beef ribs with the bold steak sauce. The flavors are spot on. I can only imagine how good yours was!

Looks fantastic! I sure wish I could find some around here for that price. Somehow I always miss the good pricing on the rib roasts! I have used Bears method on the beef ribs with the bold steak sauce. The flavors are spot on. I can only imagine how good yours was!

Check stores between now & Jan 1st.
Ours have normally been $8.99 & $6.99, until the flyer we just got today, for "Giant"---$4.76 Sale between Dec 13 until Dec 19. It will probably go for another week, but not guaranteed.

Bear

Check stores between now & Jan 1st.
Ours have normally been $8.99 & $6.99, until the flyer we just got today, for "Giant"---$4.76 Sale between Dec 13 until Dec 19. It will probably go for another week, but not guaranteed.

Bear
I checked around and kroger has them now for 6.99. May have to take a detour on my way home tonight lol

Last edited:
I checked around and kroger has them now for 6.99. May have to take a detour on my way home tonight lol

It's a little like playing Stock market commodities:
A few years ago, I was completely out of Prime Rib, and they had a sale "$5.99" the week before Christmas, so I bought 7 of them, about 5 pounds each. I told my Son about it so he bought 4 of them.
Then the following week they went down to $4.99. I was tapped out, so I didn't get any, but Bear Jr got 4 more at the $4.99 price.

I could have waited a week & save $1 per pound, but then maybe they would have went up instead of down.

So what I usually do is wait until the last day of the sale, because the flyer for the next week usually comes out a day or 2 before the old one ends.

Bear

Bear

It's a little like playing Stock market commodities:
A few years ago, I was completely out of Prime Rib, and they had a sale "$5.99" the week before Christmas, so I bought 7 of them, about 5 pounds each. I told my Son about it so he bought 4 of them.
Then the following week they went down to $4.99. I was tapped out, so I didn't get any, but Bear Jr got 4 more at the $4.99 price.

I could have waited a week & save $1 per pound, but then maybe they would have went up instead of down.

So what I usually do is wait until the last day of the sale, because the flyer for the next week usually comes out a day or 2 before the old one ends.

Bear

Bear
Your right that's usually how it goes too. Most of the time I just check the ads before I head to the store and whatever is a good deal that's what I plan my cooks around. Last year around this time i found bags of raw shrimp at Walmart for $2.00 a bag. I thought they screwed up. Took one over to the price checker and sure enough it was $2.00 per bag. You should have seen the looks on people's faces when they saw me over loading a grocery cart with bags of shrimp! lol!
1140.jpg

Your right that's usually how it goes too. Most of the time I just check the ads before I head to the store and whatever is a good deal that's what I plan my cooks around. Last year around this time i found bags of raw shrimp at Walmart for $2.00 a bag. I thought they screwed up. Took one over to the price checker and sure enough it was $2.00 per bag. You should have seen the looks on people's faces when they saw me over loading a grocery cart with bags of shrimp! lol!

Cool !!
I never had Gulf Shrimp, but I've seen them on here a few times.
How do they compare to the others---Same --Better--Not as good??
I'm assuming about the same, but I have no idea.

Bear

Cool !!
I never had Gulf Shrimp, but I've seen them on here a few times.
How do they compare to the others---Same --Better--Not as good??
I'm assuming about the same, but I have no idea.

Bear
For me I can't really tell any difference. But everything I always can get around here is frozen. May be a better comparison with fresh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky