pricing guide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneck69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Western Nebraska
i know alot of people on here have been asked to smoke items for friends.

has any one came up with a guide for time, expense(spices, wood chips, energy used) to charge people for your services?

i know for different items it takes different amounts of time to smoke items. 

I usually just do it for free, then go over to their house & drink all their beer.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Reactions: tyotrain
LOL...actually i'm not that much of a drinker any more..i'd be lucky to down a 24 pack in a year...if this was a few years ago, a 24 pack would have lasted me a week.

If it is just a once in a while thing and  i'm firing up the smoker anyway and they provide the meat they want smoked ,

No charge. If It's a  every weekend thing  or you feel that you are being taken advantage of .then you need to figure out

wether you want to charge a flat fee or by the lb.

I can tell you this, If you have been doing it for free and decide to start charging .You will find out who your friends are. 

since i've been smoking alot of items for work functions, alot of the employees are asking me about doing things for them.  i want it to be fair for the amount of time and supplies i would have into it.  i'm not looking to make a fortune off of it.  just enough to compensate for my time and effort.  if its for my family, i have no issues and some friends..but if they keep requesting me to do items i need to collect something for what i have used.

If they are asking you all the time, and they are acquaintances from work. I would figure out your cost for charcoal, wood etc. Than add a few bucks to make it worth your while. One caution though, usually when you take a hobby & turn it into a business, it ceases to be fun. Don't just turn this into a second job. IMHO.

What Al said!!

I have had, like most everybody else here, people saying I should sell or start a small business.

I laff and say no thanks.. It would stop being fun.

Too much hassle doing otherwise ... for me.

If I was to guesstamate a price I would figure what it costs and double it.

It would thin the herd of beggers out rather quick.

Have a great day!!

Craig

I do it once in a while for friends with the understanding that there is always meat shrinkage in my smoker...You want 4 butts smoked??....bring me 6.  You want 8 whitefish smoked??? ...expect 5 back.  Jerky???....no problem, I'll split it with you.  This keeps a variety of meats flowing thru my smoker without them "paying" me to do it. I have never had anyone complain about the shrinkage method of compensation.

that is one thing i do not want to do is start up a business...i have enough headaches with the job i have.  i enjoy smoking different cuts of meat and this forum has been a huge part to my success.  

I do it once in a while for friends with the understanding that there is always meat shrinkage in my smoker...You want 4 butts smoked??....bring me 6.  You want 8 whitefish smoked??? ...expect 5 back.  Jerky???....no problem, I'll split it with you.  This keeps a variety of meats flowing thru my smoker without them "paying" me to do it. I have never had anyone complain about the shrinkage method of compensation.
That's a great method!!

"I smoke for butts"

have a great day!

Craig

E-man,if I am going to be using my pit anyhow,and they bring the meat,I charge $10 or so(the pit is already hot).To start and cook through,they get wood chg.($5),Spices,time and expertise is another $15 and if I go get it or deliver;the charge goes up according to market price and distance plus the initial $10 charge.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I do barter for the work
icon_cool.gif
,I need a favor,supplies,etc.

I stay away from a Family deal as they always end up in a argument
icon_exclaim.gif
Sometimes I will have a Garage Sale and so happen to be cooking something and someone wants a Sammie or piece of Bird or whatever I am working on,well
icon_question.gif

I charge just enough to make a penny or two.Fatties are $1 a slice or $10 whole,Ribs are $10/half ,Sammies are $3.50,etc.

Hope this is what you were looking for,have fun and
icon_eek.gif

Just something else to remember... not to be a naysayer, but the minute you start charging, you open up a whole can of worms.

If heaven forbid your smoker starts a fire on your property  (say, an errant ember floats into your rain gutter and catches some old leaves....)  and you've been charging for your cooking - your insurance company could (and most likely would) deny any home-owners insurance claim.  I've seen it happen to a couple of my woodworking buddies who did a little side business here and there.  House catches fire, tools not covered/Tools catch fire, HOUSE not covered!  Even if its not much, if you charge, then the whole thing becomes a business and not a hobby.  And basically, you're not covered.

That goes even more so if someone should get sick from your cooking.  Not saying that they ever will, but just in case.  if you gave them the food "as a gift to a friend" then if (worst case scenario) they sue you, your insurance should cover it.  

If you SOLD them the food...  not so much.

I'd think twice about it.  Seriously.

Let them buy the food, the charcoal and wood  - and buy you a six pack of your favorites as thanks for throwing it on the smoker for them.  The minute you start charging for labor or marking up your materials, it is no longer a hobby.

Last edited:
If it is just a once in a while thing and  i'm firing up the smoker anyway and they provide the meat they want smoked ,

No charge. If It's a  every weekend thing  or you feel that you are being taken advantage of .then you need to figure out

wether you want to charge a flat fee or by the lb.

I can tell you this, If you have been doing it for free and decide to start charging .You will find out who your friends are. 
X 2 eman

It's always good an fun times until sombody else has to dig in their pockets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky