Price of Pork These Days

Discussion in 'Meat Selection and Processing' started by btircuit, Jul 24, 2014.

1. btircuit

btircuit Newbie

Hello all.

I haven't been around lately cause I've been trying to loose a few lbs. (40 with about 20 more to go) and although I consider myself to have pretty good willpower, when there's puled pork or ribs in the fridge all bets are off.

I've had a hunkerin to smoke a butt recently so I went to the store to get one and POW... that'll be 4 dollars a pound THANK YOU!

Every store I went to wanted the same price... I mean what the heck happened while I was away?

I understand the cost of groceries in general has increased but man 200%.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little.

Happen smoking ya'll... good to be back!

Brian

2. Brian

[​IMG]  

Good to hear from you Glad the weight is rolling off of you.

Now get up off of a couple of dollars and smoke something.

Happy smoken.

David

3. Wow, 40 lbs, good job.  I lost 30 a few years back, but somehow 20 of them found their way home...[​IMG]

They're usually about $3/lb around here, but happen to see these in local supermarket yesterday at $1.79, picked up 2 to smoke tomorrow:

Not sure if this is everyday low pricing or a special, or if there was some other reason that I won't know until we eat them, but hoping for the best.

4. tridiot

tridiot Newbie

It's the porcine virus thing that's going around the country. I think I read somewhere that like 35 states are having problems with it and it is killing about 1/3 of piglets? So, stock dying off, less availability and higher prices.

I don't remember offhand what it's called, but something to do with porcine diarrhea. Yuck, I know.

I'll see if I can look it up later if I get a few slow minutes at work. But this has affected almost all pork prices. I've noticed bacon is well over $5 per pound most places now, too. It's getting expensive to be a smoker! lol

5. davidhef88

davidhef88 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Everyday low pricing.

6. 3montes

3montes Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I just got quoted $2.69 a lb for 70 lbs of pork butt. On the other hand I wanted fajitas last week and looked at flank steak. $12.79 a lb! [​IMG]  Pork is cheap

7. Beef prices are ridiculous now! Pork is quickly catching up though. Unfortunately it's cheaper to eat out lately than to cook at home.

8. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Got a couple of butts in the smoker right now. I paid $2.28 lb. at Cash & Carry, which is almost a dollar more than they were last year.

9. I picked up 3 butts yesterday at Wegman's for $1.89. just in May they were $1.49. I need to pick up 5 more for a cook . I was asked to do for a local nomad chapter of a motorcycle club , I am not a member just guest smoker.

10. I got a steal on some butts a couple days ago.  I had been eyeballing some butts at the local Safeway, they were 2.49 a pound.  I saw the sell-by date was the next day.  I talked the store manager into selling them at half-price.  I got them for 1.25 a pound.  Smoked them almost immediately, they turned out great.  Lesson: Read the sell-by date, and be prepared to pounce when they are 24 hours away from hitting it. Large hunks of meat have a way of sitting around for a week.

11. zozr

zozr Newbie

$4.99/pound here for shoulder lately

12. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I use my phone and put sell by dates in the calendar.  I always score when I do so because they usually lower the price when they are within a couple days of the date and they still have stock on hand.  Never thought about asking them to go lower though.  Just might have to give that a try. 

13. btircuit

btircuit Newbie

That is a great idea! I had not thought of that one.

Thanks Noboundaries!