Pressure Canning Equipment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Want to start pressure canning meat.

Any recommendations for a pressure canner?

Would like to can at least 2 deer a season, and other meats throughout the year. Thanks.

Reactions: JLeonard
Whats the consistency of canned meat? I've read and heard of it just never tried it.
Jim

I'm with Dave and the all american! Bought this two or three years ago and love it. Spendy yes, but it will outlast me.

20201021_093147.jpg

Ryan

I have an old Presto that works great put it to good use this year.
Richie
I was looking at the Presto....

I have a Presto pressure cooker, and my mom still has the one i remember her using as a kid.

An occasional gasket replacement, that is it.

I think ill go with the Presto.

Thanks for the input everyone

No gasket on a All American Bill, just sayin'. You most likely won't know you need a new gasket until you are right in the middle of canning. RAY

Reactions: bill ace 350
I should have added I did alot of research before buying mine. Before getting the all american my wife wouldn't touch a pressure canner, her grandmother had one blow up while in use and ever since she wanted nothing to do with them. Also I wanted one without a gasket. With the safety features of the all american my wife loves it now.
Was typing this as you decided to go with the presto so decided I should just as well finish it. Good luck and hope whatever you decide you enjoy it and get alot of use from it.

Ryan

Reactions: bill ace 350
No gasket on a All American Bill, just sayin'. You most likely won't know you need a new gasket until you are right in the middle of canning. RAY
I hear you!

I normally start my "hobbies" with basic, decent equipment and upgrade if i really get into it.

Appreciate the advice nonetheless.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I have Three 16 quart pressure canners that are older than me ! My Grandma and my Mother canned everything back in the day . I converted the old thumbscrew petcocks to an adjustable weight or " Jiggler" if that's what you want to call it. They were all made in the USA and will outlive me. I also do all the pressure cooking on a 3 burner outdoor camp stove so I can run all three at the same time. The gaskets last a long time .

Thanks for the like SecondHandSmoker it is appreciated.

Warren

I might add to this and tell you that Leman's Hardware is a Amish store that sales new things like your grandparents used. If you are ever in the area it is well worth a stop. Look them up on line.

Warren

Bill, where in Upstate NY are you? Nancy and I grew up outside Buffalo (Amherst and Elma), had a CNY farm for years and are now retired to our place in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC.

But I may have an extra All American No.7 All American canner (Same as the model 915 at 15.5 qt) available and could bring it when we finally get back to NY.

I recently picked up an older AA No. 7 and refurbished it by replacing the old gauge with the newer geared gauge and replacing the older pressure pop-off valve with the newer and much safer vent and weight (AKA "the jiggler") so it is functionally new.

I need to see if any of our 6 kids want it and if not it'll be up for grabs as I have a 921 and a 10 qt Fagor/Zavor Duo pressure cooker/canner, too. Aside from canning, we use the 921 to pressure cook some big batches of soups and stews then vacuum seal them in our chamber sealer to freeze for later. If you get one you'll find more uses than just pressure canning.

Best regards to all,

I agree, the American is sweet and safe but, those things have been on Backorder over a year! I guess a lot of people are suddenly into growing and canning more foods then have been the last few years...JJ

I agree, the American is sweet and safe but, those things have been on Backorder over a year! I guess a lot of people are suddenly into growing and canning more foods then have been the last few years...JJ
So true Jimmy , Around here you couldn't even find canning jars or lids . The Pandemic started people thinking and with the long lines and lack of produce canning your own is a smart thing to do in my book. The seed racks were picked clean too.

So true Jimmy , Around here you couldn't even find canning jars or lids . The Pandemic started people thinking and with the long lines and lack of produce canning your own is a smart thing to do in my book. The seed racks were picked clean too.

But if everything goes back to normal next year the swap and sells will be full of them for sale.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky