Prepping for first baby back smoke!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by wrigley, Jul 10, 2011.

1. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

Picked up 3 slabs of baby backs yesterday at BJ's. Rubbed them down with grill mates pork rub, Covered them and put them in the fridge overnight. Have hickory chips that have been soaking overnight. Wish me luck! :)

Mike

2. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good luck!! Don't be stingy with the Q-view!

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good luck!!

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

May the TBS be with you. [​IMG]

5. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good luck on your rib fest.

6. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

just weathered a 30 min down pour! :(

7. smokinal

Where are you located, cause it's pouring down rain here now too.

8. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

Al,

Jacksonville Fl. :)

Mike

9. smokinal

I knew it was FL. Good luck!

10. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Calling for rain my way also, I think the weatherman is on crack. 

11. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

Rain blew through......now it's AFRICA HOT! :)

12. C'mon man it is JAX you should know that it is going to be hot/humid as HELL after the rain 

13. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

How did the BB's come out?

[​IMG]

14. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

Well....it was a learning experience. My temps were good, between 225 and 240 the entire smoke. I used soaked hickory during the smoke but the hickory taste was very strong. RO lump charcoal the entire smoke. [​IMG]The ribs were overcooked. I followed the 2-2-1 method to a tee, and lubed them up about 30-45 mins with apple juice. I'll try again with a smile on my face! :)

Mike  

15. They look great. Hickory too strong? I don't think I ever experienced that. [​IMG]

16. smoking gun

smoking gun Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Lump might be a little too hot for that type smoker. I usually use briquettes in my ECBs. Only use enough smoking wood to produce a thin blue smoke. if its thick and white you'll get an overpowering smoke taste and maybe creosote on the meat. The 2-2-1 is just a guideline and should be adjusted to suit you and your smoker. Ribs can be tricky to get just right, especially BBs. Looks like you're on the right track, hang in there and you'll be a pro in no time.

Good luck!

SG

17. smokinal

Are you sure of your cook temps? They look like they were cooked at a much higher temp than 225-240. Were you using a temp probe that was checked for accuracy recently? Did you have it on the grate next to the ribs?

18. smoking gun

smoking gun Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Another thing that helps with that type smoker is making sure the water pan has plenty of water in it the whole time. Some people add apple juice, among other things, to the water pan. it definitely helps keep the meat from drying out.

19. wrigley

wrigley Newbie

Full of warm tap water the entire smoke!

Mike

20. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG],gee what a deal.Show us FOOD[​IMG]

[​IMG]