Prepping for first baby back smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrigley

Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Picked up 3 slabs of baby backs yesterday at BJ's. Rubbed them down with grill mates pork rub, Covered them and put them in the fridge overnight. Have hickory chips that have been soaking overnight. Wish me luck! :)

Mike

May the TBS be with you. 
icon_smile.gif

Well....it was a learning experience. My temps were good, between 225 and 240 the entire smoke. I used soaked hickory during the smoke but the hickory taste was very strong. RO lump charcoal the entire smoke. 
13fa6e53_ribs1.jpg
The ribs were overcooked. I followed the 2-2-1 method to a tee, and lubed them up about 30-45 mins with apple juice. I'll try again with a smile on my face! :)

Mike  

Well....it was a learning experience. My temps were good, between 225 and 240 the entire smoke. I used soaked hickory during the smoke but the hickory taste was very strong. RO lump charcoal the entire smoke. 
13fa6e53_ribs1.jpg
The ribs were overcooked. I followed the 2-2-1 method to a tee, and lubed them up about 30-45 mins with apple juice. I'll try again with a smile on my face! :)

Mike  
Lump might be a little too hot for that type smoker. I usually use briquettes in my ECBs. Only use enough smoking wood to produce a thin blue smoke. if its thick and white you'll get an overpowering smoke taste and maybe creosote on the meat. The 2-2-1 is just a guideline and should be adjusted to suit you and your smoker. Ribs can be tricky to get just right, especially BBs. Looks like you're on the right track, hang in there and you'll be a pro in no time.

Good luck!

SG

Are you sure of your cook temps? They look like they were cooked at a much higher temp than 225-240. Were you using a temp probe that was checked for accuracy recently? Did you have it on the grate next to the ribs?

Another thing that helps with that type smoker is making sure the water pan has plenty of water in it the whole time. Some people add apple juice, among other things, to the water pan. it definitely helps keep the meat from drying out.

Another thing that helps with that type smoker is making sure the water pan has plenty of water in it the whole time. Some people add apple juice, among other things, to the water pan. it definitely helps keep the meat from drying out.

Full of warm tap water the entire smoke!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky