Preferred smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin sal 9003

Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I've smoked for over 20 years .A friend of mine asked me what kind of smoker should he buy because he is getting into the craft. I smoke with an electric Masterbuilt now and enjoy it. Even though friends with traditional smokers claim that's not smoking. What are some of your opinions?

I love the hands on approach of an offset stick burner, reverse flow or forward flow. Yes it's A LOT of work, but to me, that's smoking. Full disclosure, I do not have an electric, pellet, or gas smoker. I do have 3 Weber kettles and 2 offset stick burners...

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I've only used MES smokers. Have MES40 now and like it. Although I wish I had a setup that allowed for higher heat than 275. And a little char broil type cooking. But It suits me fine for now.

What does your friend feel comfortable using....Gas electric charcoal? Whats his price point? heck a $100 Weber kettle can turn out some great BBQ!
Jim
I was suggesting a MES for the convenience. He wanted to try a electrica but its a new idea to him. I explained so many options and control of your temp you have with a mes vs traditional charcoal.

I started on an MES40 and turned out plenty of good food. I will say I now strongly smokers that involve charcoal and / or wood. My Lang is the go to now and I love my charcoal cabinet too. My recommendation to friends who want a more hands off cooker is the new Masterbuilt Gravity smokers. You get the ease of set and forget temp management with the flavor of lump charcoal and wood chunks.

It depends on how much time he wants to devote to smoking meats, and how much cash he wants to part with to get started. Pellet grills/smokers require the least amount of time tending the cook, but can get expensive to get a decent one. I'd place electric smokers in close to the same category. If he really wants to spend time tending fires, and all that, then charcoal/chunk, or stick burners offer the best flavor. It's all a matter of how much money he wants to spend, and how much time he wants to spend tending a smoker.

Reactions: JLeonard
Every smoker has its pros and cons. Bottom line, each is a smoky oven, but that's about as close as they get to being similar.
Is the smoker easy or hard to use?
Is that use hands on or off?
Is it suitable for a beginner, or does it require experience and cooking instincts?
Does it deliver a great smoke flavor, or something lighter tasting?
Is the fuel available, cheap, or expensive?
Is it going to be used just for smoking, or for grilling, too?
Does it have mechanical or electrical failure points? If so, what's the reliability?
How much will the buyer smoke on average? How often?
Will the individual only hot smoke, or cold smoke, too?
What's the top of their budget? (Price does not equal a successful smoke. If it did, anyone could buy a $2000 set of golf clubs and play like a pro).

Unfortunately, many people don't want questions, they want answers, but are often surprised or baffled by results they didn't anticipate after making a purchase.

Personally, the Weber Kettle and WSM gave me the most satisfying combination of answers. Started with the Kettle, and moved to the WSM six months later.

The kettle with some options is really tough to beat at the price point for entry level. Then it gets $$$$ fast. The more hands off the cooker the more money.

Reactions: DougE
My best food comes off my custom rf smoker. I love my mes30 with pid for convenience though. Stick burners deliver on taste and if I could only have one, it would be that. Even though it takes more work and babysitting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky