Pre-Thanksgiving Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by mneeley490, Nov 22, 2015.

1. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have to work all week except Thursday, so I pre-smoked the turkey today. 

Started out with a 12 lb. Butterball, so I didn't bother brining, just a little compound butter inside and outside the skin. Then stuffed with a quartered onion and apple, and onto the Weber with sugar maple smoke at about 325°. This got done a lot quicker than I thought it would, about 2-1/2 hours. Believe me, I poked it all over with multiple temp probes just to be sure. I will wrap and take it over to the mother-in-law's on Thanksgiving.

While that was going, I put some cheddar into the MES30 with a mailbox mod, and that is smoking right now with some apple pellets. Finished pic to come.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    bdskelly likes this.
  2. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

A beautiful bird !

b

[​IMG]

3. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The cheese came out well. I let them cold smoke for 6 hours. The mailbox mod worked great for this application.

They didn't pick up a lot of color from the apple, but smelled smokey enough. Vac packed, and I will try one in a couple of days.

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

The Bird looks good! At 325°F the Turkey will take around 15 minutes a pound. 12Lbs = about 3 hours. You were pretty much right on schedule. 

Nice Cheese. I like cheese mildly smokey and Apple is a good choice. Mix in some Cherry for a darker color...JJ