Pre-Thanksgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
I have to work all week except Thursday, so I pre-smoked the turkey today. 

Started out with a 12 lb. Butterball, so I didn't bother brining, just a little compound butter inside and outside the skin. Then stuffed with a quartered onion and apple, and onto the Weber with sugar maple smoke at about 325°. This got done a lot quicker than I thought it would, about 2-1/2 hours. Believe me, I poked it all over with multiple temp probes just to be sure. I will wrap and take it over to the mother-in-law's on Thanksgiving.

While that was going, I put some cheddar into the MES30 with a mailbox mod, and that is smoking right now with some apple pellets. Finished pic to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
A beautiful bird !

b

points.gif

The Bird looks good! At 325°F the Turkey will take around 15 minutes a pound. 12Lbs = about 3 hours. You were pretty much right on schedule. 

Nice Cheese. I like cheese mildly smokey and Apple is a good choice. Mix in some Cherry for a darker color...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky