Pre-Slicing ribs before smoking them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poppafinch

Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
Has anyone tried this before? And what are your thoughts? I'm constantly trying new things and I read a recipe over on "Jeff's newsletter" about this, but am a little hesitant to try. What say you? 

"I don't wanna ruin my ribs" Finch

Looks great! How did you like the bacon wrapped ones? I find rub on the rib and bacon is best.

i double cut  them (take out every other bone) then smoke for a couple hrs. Then batter like chicken and deep fry. aka Pig wings.

Quote:

All done. Some wrapped in bacon.

Actually, I'm impressed as to how tender they were. 
Your ribs look great AK.  Thanks for the link to Jeff's recipe page.  I'm going to have to try this one.

Did you wrap the ribs with bacon from the start?  Did the time in the oven crisp up the bacon?

Maybe not such a bad idea. Considering there is almost no meat on the bone side, slicing individual ribs almost doubles to surface area to soak up that smokey goodness and spices we all love. It does however increase the area to weep the juices out. somehow doubt it will dry the meat noticeably.

Last edited:

Quote:

Your ribs look great AK.  Thanks for the link to Jeff's recipe page.  I'm going to have to try this one.

Did you wrap the ribs with bacon from the start?  Did the time in the oven crisp up the bacon?
No, I wrapped with b acon after the oven time. Just before putting them back on the Weber for the final cook.

So, this is what I've found doing this....

I would have thought that the ribs would have been too dry... but that is not what happened at all. They were wonderfully moist & tender. a wee bit too spicy just because of the rub I used but over all a success.

No, I wrapped with b acon after the oven time. Just before putting them back on the Weber for the final cook.
Thanks for the follow up. 
icon14.gif

Yes....THANKS for the follow up AK! I may just give it a go now. And I think I will do the same...1/2 wrapped 1/2 not wrapped! Thanks guys!

Finch

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky