Pre-Slicing ribs before smoking them?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by poppafinch, Jan 23, 2016.

1. poppafinch

poppafinch Newbie

Has anyone tried this before? And what are your thoughts? I'm constantly trying new things and I read a recipe over on "Jeff's newsletter" about this, but am a little hesitant to try. What say you? 

"I don't wanna ruin my ribs" Finch

2. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've never tried it, but after reading that newsletter, I may do that next time.

3. poppafinch

poppafinch Newbie

Right...Looks good huh?

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Give it a try!

Let us know what you think.

Al

5. ak1

I'm thinking maybe Monday. It's supposed to be a balmy 33*F.

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you do it wrap a few in bacon then more rub!

7. ak1

I'm making these today. Right now they are in the two hr smoke part in the Weber kettle. In about a half hr or so they'll be coming out, getting seasoned and foiled in the pan for the next few hrs. Pics soon.

8. ak1

9. ak1

All done. Some wrapped in bacon.

Actually, I'm impressed as to how tender they were. 

10. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great! How did you like the bacon wrapped ones? I find rub on the rib and bacon is best.

11. ak1

Loved the bacon wrapped. It was soooo good.

12. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

i double cut  them (take out every other bone) then smoke for a couple hrs. Then batter like chicken and deep fry. aka Pig wings.

13. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Pre-slicing ribs?  Blasphemy!

Bacon wrapped?  Hmmmmm?

Good luck and good smoking.

14. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Quote:
    Your ribs look great AK.  Thanks for the link to Jeff's recipe page.  I'm going to have to try this one.

Did you wrap the ribs with bacon from the start?  Did the time in the oven crisp up the bacon?

15. Maybe not such a bad idea. Considering there is almost no meat on the bone side, slicing individual ribs almost doubles to surface area to soak up that smokey goodness and spices we all love. It does however increase the area to weep the juices out. somehow doubt it will dry the meat noticeably.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. ak1

No, I wrapped with b acon after the oven time. Just before putting them back on the Weber for the final cook.

17. ak1

So, this is what I've found doing this....

I would have thought that the ribs would have been too dry... but that is not what happened at all. They were wonderfully moist & tender. a wee bit too spicy just because of the rub I used but over all a success.

18. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Thanks for the follow up.  [​IMG]

19. poppafinch

poppafinch Newbie

Yes....THANKS for the follow up AK! I may just give it a go now. And I think I will do the same...1/2 wrapped 1/2 not wrapped! Thanks guys!

Finch