Pre Season for SV Later

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
I was pulling a pork tenderloin out of the freezer today to SV tonight. I was thinking next time I could pre season the meat and put in the food saver bags and freeze. That way I could just plop them in the SV cooker and go verses thawing, taking out of a food saver bag and seasoning then put it back in a food saver bag.
Anyone tired this with good results? I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be OK.
Thanks.
Gordon

Reactions: xray
I have done that as well. But if I had a frozen piece of meat in a vac pack & wanted to season it & SV it. I would just cut the top of the bag off & put the seasoning in then reseal it & then into the SV.
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
This definitely works well and is great for the sake of convenience because there’s no need to thaw the meat. You could just put the frozen seasoned meat directly into the SV bath.

We do this a lot with chicken. Since it’s just my wife and I, we’ll buy the family pack of chicken, season it and portion two breasts to a bag and freeze.

Not much discussion about it but I think you need time for the salt and flavor to do their job and penetrate. IMO seasoning a few days in advance is far superior than right before the bath. I have not done it into the freezer but think it would well and possibly better than a dry brine for a few days but I am not typically that organized. :emoji_laughing:

I do this all the time. WAY easier than needing to thaw. Works great.

Just fire up the SV and toss it in. I have a tri tip all seasoned and sealed waiting for a cook day.

Thanks everyone. I am for sure going to give it a try.
It does work good . Here's something else I started doing for the longer cook time stuff .

Reactions: culpepersmoke
Yep, been doing it both ways with great results. Either season, bag, seal and freeze, or unwrap if frozen, season, bag and seal it then in the bath. Tossing into the water while frozen and seasoned is so convenient.

Reactions: culpepersmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky